Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Song: You're Gonna Miss This






I am so glad to have found the meme "You're Gonna Miss This...Moment." I posted my first time for this last Saturday.

There are so many great songs about children growing up and how quickly time passes. The song with the same title You're Gonna Miss This by Trace Adkins is another example . As an adult I can see how true the words are. Looking back I can see all the things I miss--some are just sentimental things that probably mean nothing to no one but me, but I still miss them. I wouldn't really want to go back in time to elementary school or college because I am happy in the present. But there are just certain things I loved and enjoyed that I now miss. I miss things from each of the stages of my life really. Sometimes I miss them so much it makes me want to cry....sleepovers and bowling and snowcones and birthday parties with my cousin, ice cream after school with Peepaw, the house where I grew up, certain teachers from high school, eating lunch with my lunch buddies, the friends I knew from K-12th that I rarely talk to any more, choir practices and trips, my parents being married, walking around ACU on freezing cold nights with my sweetie, going out to eat with my forever friend Casey, singing at 9 o'clock devo, my students that I've lost contact with, eating chocolate pie at Michelle's with my husband (way more often that we should have!), nursing my son, the list could go on.

Each of these things have changed and shaped me. At the time things happen how many times do we really stop to consider how much this event will mean to us in the future? Some things are so insignificant and don't stick in my memory. Others though will be there forever. We have to savor the moments. During the event we may often be thinking "I'll be glad when this is over." Then when it is gone we look back saying "remember when....."

Our lives are short. We have to appreciate the moments we've been given, making memories as we go, appreciating the people in our lives, and making the most of every opportunity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Man is like a breath; his days are like a fleeting shadow." Psalm 144:4

6 comments:

Musings of A Minister said...

Love the song. Love your comments. This has made so many memories go rushing through my mind. I "miss" so many things I could never name them all. I too think often of ACU (It was ACC for me). When I was there I felt like I wanted to stay forever. But I was working my way through college and couldn't afford to stay and I needed to get on out and start preaching. ...You asked about my book. It just arrived in the mail yesterday. It is very good!I,ll post a review soon.

Denise said...

Wonderful post sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. My children are still young & I look back over the past 8 years & wish I would have taken more time to play that game one more time, read that store again, etc. It does go by so fast.

HEATHER said...

I love that song. It really makes you look back and wish you would've done some things different. Instead I am realizing that I need to make the most of what time I have now memorable for my son (legacy). I really enjoyed reading your post!!!! They're so heart felt thanks for always sharing your heart & soul.
Love in Christ,
Heather

Michele Williams said...

Enjoy every moment you have with your family. Unfortunately we were too busy with work and the ministry that we didn't spend a whole lot of time with Heather growing up. I truly regret that. I also wish I kept diaries too.. because with my illnesses I have lost so much of my memory. Things are so foggy. It would be nice to have things documented so I would have that to look over now.

Bless you dear friend.

Debra Kaye said...

Bethany,

It's so true. Just day before yesterday Josh and I were looking thru old pictures of when he was 4 and I could not get through them without crying. He was such a little guy guy and now he stands 6'5" and is a young man. I do miss those times.

Great post, sweet one! ((Hugs))