Thursday, July 12, 2007

Change of Plans

As some of you may know I'm coordinating my 10 year high school reunion. The "big event" will take place next Saturday. Things have gone really well. I've had several people helping me contact people and do various jobs to prepare. We knew all along the high school (where we are having the lunch) was under construction. The secretary told me to call the week before and find out how they were coming along. Today the principal said it won't be available for us to have our lunch. Now we are on to plan B!

I've been praying all along that everything comes together and all works out. This was a surprise to find out a little more than a week before we're meeting. But I was proud of myself for remaining calm.

One thing I've learned from my Mom is remaining calm in any situation. She is such a calm person. Many times people have commented on how she stays calm even with parents yelling in her face (she's a school secretary) or rude teachers that demand her attention when she's in the middle of something else. She's always been this way.

I've seen some people get hysterical about something that doesn't really matter. I hope I am a calm person. I try to remember to think of the bigger picture. Will it really matter in 10 years where my reunion was held? Or for that matter will this matter next week, tomorrow, or in one hour?

Everyday things come up that can take us by surprise. Unexpected guests stop by. It rains when we had planned to go to the zoo. Traffic is backed up and makes you late getting home. The grocery store is packed, the baby doesn't get home at naptime, falls asleep in the car, and wakes up when you get home, not wanting to go back to sleep. Remind yourself that things happen for a reason. Take a breath, smile, and adjust your day.
-------------
"Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord is the Rock eternal." Isaiah 26:4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just read your "blog" from today and wanted to say thank you for the sweet compliment! I love you!