Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Continuing Ed.

With my teacher certification I must keep up with my continuing education hours. I have to get 150 hours over five years. I just renewd my certificate for the first time back in February for my first five years. Now I'm starting over on the hours.

I attended a class called "Make These Kids Behave." I've had the presenter(Gwen Ryan) in previous classes I've attended. She's entertaining and shares many personal stories that make the classes fun to attend.

I thought I could share a couple things I gained from this workshop. She had several "fundamental principles" that I think apply in the classroom or anywhere you are dealing with children.

1. All behaviors exist for a reason. If a behavior meets a need, the behavior will continue.
2. For 80% of your students, prevention is the most rewarding and effective discipline strategy.
3. The first 7 minutes of class determine the flow of the day or class period.
4. The dignity of the learner must be preserved at all times.
5. We can't make them behave! We can provide students with the structure, support, motivations and skills to become managers of their own behavior.

Time to fix supper, that's all for today!

"Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God." Matthew 5:8

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW... I really enjoyed reading the blog... I bet it is enjoyable to just put your thoughts into words to remember the good (and bad) times... Thanks for sharing...

SIS

Sarah said...

Those are good tips. I wish I had really known some of them when I was student teaching.