Monday, July 29, 2013

The Journal




I have finished reading The Journal by Beth Harlow. 

A young woman gives a journal to her fiancé in 1861 before he leaves for war.  The book ends up getting passed around to many men, back and forth between both sides of the line. As it gets passed around, the new writer reads the previous entries.   It is based on real battles,  but the other characters are fictional.   
I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy this book, but I really did.  It was very interesting to me to read the thoughts and feelings of these young men during the Civil War.  It gave me a new perspective to see how those young soldiers felt as they were in the middle of the battle and missing family and home.  Also they all had different views of God and had different relationships with God.   I liked the way the author set up this book to be written from so many different soldiers at different places in their lives and how they could learn from each other when they reread the previous entries.  Each character’s writing is dated and divided by a swirly line.   It was easy enough to follow, but it might have been easier if the writers could have signed their entries.
 

This was a quick read, and I recommend that you check it out yourself.  You can buy it here.

Thank you to the publisher for sending a copy to me for my review through the Bookcrash review program. 


 Have a day of blessings!

No comments: