Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Book review: My Stubborn Heart


I read some good reviews of this book so when I saw I could review it for Bethany House I quickly requested it. 

From back cover:
Kate Donovan is burned out on work, worn down by her dating relationships, and in need of an adventure. When her grandmother asks her to accompany her to Redbud, Pennsylvania, to restore the grand old house she grew up in, Kate jumps at the chance.

Upon her arrival in Redbud, Kate meets Matt Jarreau, the man hired to renovate the house. Kate can't help being attracted to him, drawn by both his good looks and something else she can't quite put her finger on. He's clearly wounded--hiding from people, from God, and from his past. Yet Kate sets her stubborn heart on bringing him out of the dark and back into the light...whether he likes it or not.

When the stilted, uncomfortable interactions between Kate and Matt slowly shift into something more, is God finally answering the longing of her heart? Or will Kate be required to give up more than she ever dreamed?

My thoughts:
This was a quick, easy read for me.  I enjoyed the storyline and the characters.  It was different from other books I have read from Bethany House though because it did have a few words and phrases that are not typical for Christian books. I liked Kate's character and her sensitivity to Matt and his hurting heart.  Also, I liked that she did not try to figure things out on her own but really looked to God for direction for her life, even if she felt the answer was not the answer she was seeking.  I appreciated the relationship between Kate and her grandmother and her grandmother's senior friends.  They were a nice addition to the book I thought.  Overall I did enjoy this book.  I would like to read a continuation of these character's lives.             

I received this book from Bethany House Publishers. 

Have a day of blessings!

No comments: