Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Wednesday Hodgepodge




1. Ever played the game Farkle? Are you a risk taker? In games only or also in life?
 Yes I have, but  it has been a long time. I had to go look up the game and rules to refresh my memory. No, I am not a risk taker. We have been playing a card game called Golf lately, and I noticed about myself as we played that I am definitely not a risk taker.  

2. What's your favorite thing about your yard or whatever outdoor space you may have?
Our back door is a glass sliding door. When we moved here it led out to a wide cement porch with three or four steps down.  We added a deck with a gate to latch closed to keep my baby boy safe and also to keep the dog off the porch.  However now our boy is bigger and the dog is gone so the gate is off.  Anyway, I have enjoyed sitting out there on these nice spring days and doing my quiet time.  I imagine what the yard will look like “someday.”  The dog had dug a bunch of holes through the yard and grass wasn't growing.  The boys are working on that though.  It's been a good project for Caleb to help with during this time.  For now it is peaceful to hear the birds and feel the breeze.

3. Tell us about the most interesting building you've seen or been in.
Carnegie Hall...in high school I went with my choir to NYC to sing in Carnegie Hall.  Being inside Carnegie Hall was amazing, and seeing it in movies or on TV brings back those memories.


Another that came to mind was the Precious Moments Chapel.  We went there one summer when we went to Missouri and Iowa.  Here is a picture from the website---
https://preciousmomentschapel.org/


4. In this current season of social distancing, what's something you've come to realize you take for granted in more ordinary times? Do you think you'll make a conscious effort to appreciate whatever that 'it' is once normal life resumes?
There are many things I have realized I had taken for granted.  One is how I had a plan and had even told myself at Christmas break how we didn’t have much time together left with Titus at home and to make the most of the time.  I thought I had "x number of times" left doing  activities/programs with my little guy before he starts kindergarten.  Zoo class once a month, ladies Bible class on Tuesday’s (he loved going and playing with his friends) followed by lunch with Daddy, library visits, time at home just the two of us.  I never thought I wouldn’t get to have those moments with him.  Now I know I won’t, and while it does make me sad, I also appreciate what is happening now.

5. Share a favorite song with a springtime flower in the lyrics somewhere.
An old hymn that came to mind:

"The Lily of the Valley"  I found several versions on YouTube.  Here is one by Johnny Cash.
 

6. Insert your own random thought here.


My little guy did great with his dental work yesterday.  He was very brave.  I was thankful I got to stand in the room with him and for how well he did with it all.  He was very calm about everything.  His big brother had a meeting yesterday morning online so decided to stay home instead of going with us.  He did set his alarm to get up to see us before we left which I thought was really sweet.  Afterwards he was out to the garage to get his brother before we even got out of the van.  They enjoyed a milkshake and extra time watching television together.

Have a day of blessings!
Bethany

5 comments:

Susan said...

Your deck sounds like a peaceful place. It's so nice to get outside, especially during this time of staying home. Sounds like you are making the most of the time at home with your boys. Happy Wednesday!

Mrs.T said...

I love that hymn also! I don't know how I had forgotten about it when I first answered the question, but it came to mind later so I edited the post to add it. I didn't look for a video, so I'm glad that you did.

How amazing that you got to sing in Carnegie Hall as a teen! What a great memory to have from high school!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I've never heard of that game. Playing cards is fun. It's so relaxing to sit out on a deck and listen to the birds. I googled Carnegie Hall and it looks amazing! How nice that you got to visit the Precious Moments Chapel. I would enjoy that. Sorry you won't get those moments with Titus. Nice song choice. I like your random.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

I haven't thought about the song, Lily of the Valley, in such a long time and I grew up on that song. Thanks for bringing it to mind. Have a great rest of the week!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

The sweet acts by the big brother says so much about his character. What a good example he will be for the little one. Love that great old hymn.