Monday, August 25, 2014

5th grader!

The end of summer is here and we are to the first day of school.  Our summer was fast and fun, filled with trips, new memories, and lessons. Good-bye to our days of sleeping late. Good-bye to our errand days together. I'll be heading to do errands on my own. I know I'll miss having you along....because you were so helpful and because of the funny things that always happened to us. Good-bye to pajama days and chore lists and swimming and library visits and snow cones and out of town trips and cooking together and watching our game shows.

I'm not like other Moms who jump for joy when their kids return to school. Sure, there are things I will do when you are in school that I haven't done this summer (like eat lunch when I want or listen to audio books!). But I truly miss having you around.

We'll drop you off for your last first day at this intermediate campus. It feels different for me this year, knowing it's your last year here before junior high. The last year at the place where all the teachers and staff know who you are (and know me). We will be starting over I guess next year and that leaves me with a lump in my throat.

This year the theme for your school is "Be a Star."  When we went to meet your teacher, several classrooms had used the theme of shining like a star. That is what you do, and I have no doubt you will continue to do that this year.

You'll be the oldest on the campus. Make the younger students you know feel special and acknowledge the ones who know you.

Make a new friend. It's easy to hang out with the ones you already know, but think back to when you were the new boy here.  Be a friend to someone who doesn't have a friend.

Remember that it's okay to be different.  You've never been one to go along with the crowd, and I hope you will continue to shine in your uniqueness.

Some things may be hard for you. Don't give up. Keep trying. As you learned his year with your ham radio test, you can succeed when you are dedicated to it.

Take a stand for what is right. Do the right thing even if others don't.

Your Momma and Daddy (and a bunch of other people) support you and love you. We want you to succeed and will help you any way you can. We will be praying for you always.

I have such fond memories of my fifth grade year and teacher.  I hope this is an amazing year for you.  You've got a great group of teachers!  I look forward to seeing how you grow and learn this year.

Love, Momma



Have a day of blessings!

1 comment:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Love the letter and I hope he has a great year!