Sunday, January 1, 2012

Looking ahead at 2012

A new year feels like a nice clean fresh piece of paper waiting to be filled.  What will the page look like on December 31, 2012?  What will fill up your paper this year?     

I've asked my husband to think about his goals for the coming year, and we have talked about these together. 

As I think about the coming year I am thinking of the ways I want to be a better wife and Mom.  I am thinking of what I can do to make a difference in the lives of the people God has put in my life.  I am thinking of some books I want to read this year that are in my "to read" pile. I am thinking of blog posts I want to write regarding some topics that have been on my heart lately.  Also, one thing I did realize that will happen this year is my boy will finish 2nd grade and move on to 3rd grade.  That is weird for me (as a teacher and a Mom) to think of my boy being old enough to be a 3rd grader.  Plus my boy will be at a new campus so that will be new and different for us too.

A couple things I want to do include:
~ scrapbooks... I have one school scrapbook for Caleb.  I have the pictures printed and ready and just haven't put them in yet.  I also want to make a scrapbook for my husband to keep all his articles in one place. 

~ get some more continuing ed hours for my second set of 150 hours since graduation from college.  I can get some hours through online courses or in the summer at the education service center or by reading a book.  I'll probably do all of these! 

~ The main thing I desire is to help my husband reach his goals.  As we talked I knew there were several things I could do to help him achieve his goals so that is where I want to focus this year as his helper and wife. 

~ I thought of one more....try making more things.  I was excited to make a display board for our Christmas cards this year.  It was easy and fun and would like to try making other creative things this year. 
This morning our preacher read this passage-- Romans 13:11-14--"And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. 13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. 14 Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh."

He asked us what we ned to leave behind as we move into 2012.   He said we may not have a problem with the sins listed in this passage but what other things do we hold on to that need to be left behind....resentment, unforgiveness, worry, fear, etc. 

Whatever happens in this year, I pray God is honored with how I live and I find ways to serve Him. 

Have a day of blessings!

No comments: