Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thankful Thursday + 5 love languages!

Brrrr!  We woke up to a chilly morning outside.  It is nice to feel fall in the air after our hot, hot summer.

I had a story to share with you today as part of my thankfulness.  Are you familiar with the book The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman?  The five languages include:  Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch.  The idea is that we each have a way that we feel most loved.  There are quizzes you can do to determine which area is your main love language.  It's very helpful in marriage and any relationship to know that you are showing love in a way that speaks with the other person.  Otherwise they may be left feeling unloved just because you aren't showing them love in the way that means the most to them. 

I tell you that to share this story of how my husband just filled up my love tank yesterday.  He always does sweet little things for me, but I told him last night that he specifically showed me love in all five love languages.  First thing in the morning when I was getting dressed I found a note on my nightstand thanking me for what I do and a twenty dollar bill (Receiving Gifts).  He said he wanted me to spend it on a surprise on myself.  It was a total surprise for me that he would do this, which I told him.  Later he told me he knew I didn't like to spend money on myself, and he just wanted to give me a little and make me go buy something for myself.  We had lunch together (Quality Time).  As we were leaving I could just see his love for me as he shared from his heart about how beautiful I am to him (Words of Affirmation).  He brushed my hair (Physical Touch)-- I had gotten a trim and love to have my hair brushed, it felt nice for him to do that.  In the evening he helped fold some clothes (Acts of Service) and laid by me on the floor and talked a while about nothing in particular (more Quality Time).  It just felt like such a wonderful day, and I am so thankful for all the ways my husband showered me with love. I told him he could have done one of those things and I would have felt loved!  But for him to do all of them on the same day...just because (no special occasion or making up from a disagreement I mean)...made me feel so loved and special! I share this in hopes that you will find ways to show love in tangible, understandable ways to your spouse, children, and friends.    

Also on my thankful list this week....

~ my husband (see above!).

~ my sweet boy and his wake-up snuggles he's been giving me each morning.

~ beauty of fall I've noticed....pumpkins, leaves, sunrises.

~ a new pair of house shoes to keep my toes warm!

~ answers to prayer this week. 

Join us at Spiritually Unequal Marriage to link up for Thankful Thursday this week! 

Have a day of blessings!

3 comments:

~ Bonnie ~ said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, that is such a precious thing! He is a wonderful guy! (I guess you got loving to have your hair brushed from me, cause I love it too!)

Tami said...

I'm thankful for your beautiful relationship, friend.

Unknown said...

Bethany,

This is so precious and special. You have an really great guy.

Happy TT.

Have a wonderful November and a blessed Holiday season. Hugs, Lynn