Friday, August 20, 2010

Flashback Friday:



Today for Flashback Friday we are continuing with the back-to-school theme. We are talking about clubs and extra-curricular activities.


My Flashback:
I was involved in many extra-curricular activities for most all of my school days. In elementary school I participated in UIL contests. This started in 3rd grade I believe. We could choose an event. I think we had to try out for the team and then the team went to contest. I remember that most years I did an event called Ready Writing. The judges gave you a topic and you had to write about it. Then they judged them. Other events I did through elementary were spelling, listening skills, and Music Memory. In Music Memory, there was a list of 20 or so pieces, we learned the title of the work and composer. At the contest they played a snippet of the piece and we had to identify it.

In middle school I continued with the UIL events. I did participate in 7th and 8th grades in an event called Modern Oratory. We were given a choice of topics prior to the contest. We had to prepare a speech on that topic and give it to the judges at contest. In middle school I began my years in the choir. I had the same choir director from 6th-12th grade and she is a special lady! We went to many choir contests and I have great memories from these trips. In high school I went twice with the choir to New York and we performed in Carnegie Hall. I was in clubs too in middle school such as Builder's Club (which is the middle school version of Key Club). I was in the charter group at our school. We had science fairs and I got to go on to the regional science fair in both 7th and 8th grades. It was a fun trip because it was on the weekend of my birthday. One year we ate at Olive Garden and my friends ordered a cake and sang to me there! Those science experiments make me laugh to think about. One of them was called ""The Effect of Sugar Substitutes on Fruit Fly Reproduction." In one of my classes we did Texas Future Problem Solvers and we got to go to the state bowl in Austin, which was a neat experience. I was in the pep squad in middle school also. Thinking of those bright yellow shirts and purple skirts make me laugh now!

In high school I continued to be in UIL events, mainly writing events and one called Literary Criticism. I advanced to regionals and I think one year to state but I don't remember which event that was. It felt like I was in several clubs but I can only think of two right now...Key Club and SADD (Students Against Drunk Driving). I was on the year book staff and got to be co- editor my senior year.

Have a day of blessings!

4 comments:

Denise said...

I truly enjoy your memories, love you.

Mocha with Linda said...

Fun memories! My daughter did Music Memory UIL in middle school. Math contests were the only ones I knew of when I was growing up.

Karen said...

Great memories! Experiences that equipped you for later success!

bekahcubed said...

I always like hearing about these educational-type extracurriculars. These are probably the types of things I'd have wanted to participate in if I had gone to a regular (!) school. It sounds like UIL included a nice variety of events.