Monday, November 9, 2009

2009 Book list #43: Mothering Heights by Keitha Smith and Susan Brereton

Mothering Heights: A Novel Approach for Christian Mothers by Keitha Smith and Susan Brereton is a new novel from Judson Press that I'm happy to share with you.

From the website:
This encouraging book uses the charm of timeless literary works and the wisdom of the Bible to reconsider what is seen today as a classic role.


My thoughts:
I found Mothering Heights to be an enjoyable book that was easy to follow. Each chapter is titled after a classic literary work, such as Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and Great Expectations. A few quotes are used from these books throughout the chapters. One thing I appreciated was the comments from mothers relating real experiences to the information discussed in the chapter. Each chapter ends with a short list of questions. One of the chapters I enjoyed was about the expectations we face as mothers...expectations of our spouses, our children, others, ourselves and God. What I learned from this book was to be reminded of my role as a Mom is valuable even in the tasks that seem menial at the time and taking care of my family is a way I can serve God right now. This book was encouraging to me, and I would recommend it to other Mom's. It seems it would be a valuable book especially for new moms to read so they will realize that they are valuable and what they are doing is important. We all need to be encouraged from time to time and reminded of our purpose. This book does that.

Thank you to Kim Shimer at Judson Press for sending me this book for review. You may purchase it at this link.

Have a day of blessings!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Your review made me want to read this book SO bad!!! I could definitely use some encouragement right now... I keep seeking God but my sin is preventing me from hearing Him... I just cant seem to get it right.

I will have to look at getting this!

Blessings-
Amanda

♥Mimi♥ said...

What a blessing your book review is to me today. A good suggestion for a Christmas gift for a few young mothers on my list!

The sound of your son beside you singing in church must be, literally, music to your ears. I remember when my boys lived at home and how sweet it was for all of us to go to church together☺

Musings of A Minister said...

Another great review. Have a good day.