Saturday, October 10, 2009

Book #40: Sometimes a Light Surprises by Jaime Langston Turner

In catching up on some of my reading I have finished Sometimes a Light Surprises by Jamie Langston Turner.

This is the story of widowed Ben Buckley, his secretary Caroline, a young girl he hires Kelly, and one of his daughters Erin. Each character has huge issues . Mr Buckley lives his life one ritual after another since the murder of his wife over twenty years ago. Caroline loves watching and reading mysteries and has a troubled relationship with her son. Kelly is a young girl from a large family who is very surprised to be hired by Mr. Buckley. She faces ridicule from her coworkers and continues to do what she can to be a light to them.. Erin is full of bitterness because of her father's actions after her mother's death.

I will admit this story was not a page turner for me. I enjoyed the story, but it seemed to move slowly and I had trouble getting into it. I think the reader will be able to find someone to relate to in this story and their struggles.

I appreciated the theme of light in this book. As I was reading it reminded me of senior year English and studying themes in various books.


Have a day of blessings!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Thanks for the review sweetie.