Monday, October 5, 2009

2009 State Fair trip!

Howdy folks!

For the past several years we have made a family trip to the State Fair of Texas. (Here is last year's post.) I remember the first year we went that right before we left for the day we went to the baby booth to change Caleb, and he peed all over his pants. Other memories are when Caleb was old enough to do "Little Hands on the Farm." Also he was so excited the first year he got to do the Pee Wee Stampede.

We were all looking forward to the trip. This year since we have a school boy we had to go on the weekend though instead of during the week like we've always done before.

Friday after school we loaded up. We made a couple of stops along the way. We stopped for me to pick up coupons for the Fair at McDonalds. Then we stopped for supper.


Then the boys wanted to stop here . . .
. . . to get one of these.


I found a room at La Quinta for $34 a night with the weekend special plus the discount we have through ACU! We've been pleased with LQ overall, and I was excited to find one so cheap compared to most others that were $70-$80 normally. We ended up going to bed late because when we turned the lights off we saw a flashing light in the smoke detector. It was enough to be annoying, so we switched rooms. It was like a camera flash, and it went off every 45 seconds to a minute. We were glad it wasn't beeping, but it was worrying Caleb and hard to ignore.

Saturday morning Caleb was awake very early, I think around 6. He went to the bathroom and said he was hungry. I gave him some graham crackers I'd stuffed in our snack bag. After 7 Daddy took him down to try the continental breakfast. He didn't eat much though--I think he was excited for our day!

Since it was the first Saturday of the month we found this . . .

. . . so Caleb could make this.

He's been to all the workshops this year, and this was his third workshop in a different city than where we live! I knew he'd want to do this month's project since it was a fire station. I just love the little bank. As you can see in the picture it has three slots for saving, spending, and sharing, which is what we've been doing with Caleb except in envelopes and a piggy bank. I like having it all in one place!

Next it was on to the fair. With the coupons we got Caleb's admission free and four dollars off one adult ticket. So we all three got in for $26. (Not that anyone cares, just for my own reference!!)

We went to the favorite petting zoo.


Then it was time for the 12:00 Pee Wee Stampede. Caleb got his number and hat. He was in both bare back riding and bull riding. He won a trophy in the bull riding! It was so fun!
We headed over to find some lunch.


Caleb and had corn dogs. (Lunch total was $16.) We walked around some of the booths, and the boys loved the auto show. We always get in the seats of several of the vehicles. This year they had a fishing booth. None of the fish were biting though. Caleb wanted to scoop one up with a net! He was very patient, and I wonder how long he would have stood there. It's probably time to go fishing with Gramma again! He really wanted to catch a fish.
We went over to hear the wonderful Marine Drum & Bugle Corps.


There is something stirring to stand in a very light drizzle singing the National Anthem with hundreds of others. After the performance we headed back across the park. Caleb wanted cotton candy. Of course the price is a bit ridiculous, but he always wants it and I always say no. But this time I said yes. :) Daddy and I had a funnel cake. I was debating on getting an ear of corn but didn't want to be too full for supper! I took Caleb to play in Big Tex sand box. He loved it. It was neat how all the kids were so content in the sand and none of them wanted to leave!
We went over for Daddy to test drive a Traverse. Caleb and I rode along. Then Caleb got to go to the kids' area and drive around a kids' sized Escalade. By this time it was a steady drizzle. Caleb said he wanted to do the Ferris wheel. I told him it was kind of expensive, and he got to do the cars this year. Plus I was thinking how we needed to leave soon and I didn't want to walk over there or stand in line. We had a full day and Caleb was okay with not riding it this year.
We all got pretty wet walking to the car. Caleb fell asleep while we drove to eat.
We all slept well and headed home Sunday morning. It was a great trip and I'm happy we have this tradition!
Have a day of blessings!

4 comments:

Denise said...

Sounds really wonderful, enjoyed the pictures.

Kristi said...

What a fun tradition. I haven't been in years but your post makes me want to load up my family and go! Your little bull rider is precious~way to go Caleb!

susansspace said...

It sounds like you three had some great family fun at the Texas State Fair!! Thanks for sharing those neat pictures & descriptions! I felt like I was there!
Have a wonderful week!
Susan

P.S. Wish you lived nearby; Caleb could fish every day in our pond!
S: )

Amanda said...

WOW!!! That is one amazing trip!!! You guys always seem to do everything so organized and thought out.. I just love that about you.

My boys made the piggy bank as well last Saturday... they LOVED it!!

Blessings-
Amanda