Wednesday, October 8, 2008

State Fair

We had a wonderful time! I'm trying to catch up on my emails and blog reading.

We arrived Sunday afternoon to our hotel. It was one we had never stayed at before, but we (my husband, I had nothing to do with finding it!) found it okay. We unloaded and went to visit my brother-in-law and his wife and see their new home. After that we went to have supper at a BBQ place. We got way too much food! Caleb and I should have shared. I wanted a BBQ sandwich and wasn't sure he'd eat it. I should have just shared a kid's plate with him; I couldn't believe the meat portion they gave on a kid's plate! It did work out nicely though because we had some leftovers that we put into a plastic bag in our ice chest for another time. After we ate we waited for my friend to come over. She was my college roommate, and we like to get together if we can. She brought Caleb a set of (toy) fire fighter equipment set, and he was thrilled! The set even had a whistle, crow bar, and fire extinguisher. He's never had those so he was excited to play fireman! Caleb took this picture of wood while we were sitting outside. He thought the stacked up wood was so neat!


My husband and I didn't sleep much that night. It was too hot, then the fan went off, then his CPAP wasn't working. I heard Caleb at 6:30 so I went to his bed and he told me he was "shivering cold." A few minutes later he whispered, "Mom, the sun's up." I went and showed him it wasn't the sun, it was actually a light shining outside. I told him he could come lay by me and rest some more. He didn't go back to sleep though! It was raining outside too! We had breakfast and headed to the fair ground. We arrived before 9:30.

We loaded up the stroller and headed to the gate. On our way we stopped at McDonald's and I found two trays sitting on an empty table. I asked the people at the next table if they belonged to them; they did not so I took both of the tray liners for the coupons. I was glad I didn't have to buy anything to get the coupons! So we got in for $22 again this year with the coupons.

We were disappointed not to get to see Caleb in the Pee Wee Stampede this year that he loved so much last year. The arena was nice and muddy! He didn't know why he couldn't just have it in the mud! He did get to be in the Backyard Circus though. We were walking by and realized it was going to start in about 10 minutes. Caleb surprised me by marching up to the front on his own and sitting with the other group of kids on the green carpet. I went up and told him the man might ask for volunteers. If he wanted to help he could but he didn't have to. So he raised his hand right then and a girl beside him told him not yet! The Backyard Circus is a little show for the kids to use their imaginations. They put an orange shirt on him that said TIGERS. He was looking at me like I don't want to do this so I went up and told him what was going to happen while the girl did the tight rope act. When it was his turn, he was ready to go. He was the last one of the group to jump through the "ring of fire."

We went to see a cow milking demonstration, toured the barnyard petting zoo, watched a dog show (Caleb made me laugh there as he was clapping and cheering with such enthusiasm!), checked out the vendors, and listened to the amazing US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps. We all loved this show! We got there right as they were starting and found three empty chairs on the front row. It was very moving to hear them play. They played "Battle Hymn of the Republic" as a tribute to veterans and those currently serving our country. During one song the drummers came up to the front. I noticed the one on the end staring directly at me. At the end he reached in and gave Caleb five and shook his hand. Caleb was so excited!

We enjoyed some "fair food" too. Caleb and I shared my chicken sandwich and his corn dog. We had a funnel cake in the afternoon. In the Food & Fiber Pavilion they were handing out ice cream cones. The past couple of years they passed out yummy little rolls. We couldn't figure out why everyone in the place had ice cream until we got up to that booth, expecting rolls and getting ice cream instead! We also had roasted corn as we were leaving the park. I had been wanting one so we finished up our tickets on that.

We rode the Ferris wheel together also. I asked Caleb as we were walking if he was sure he wanted to do it. I told him it was really tall and much taller than the other Ferris wheel he'd ridden. He loved it and was excited the whole time!

We all slept that night, and after doing some shopping and having lunch, we came home Tuesday afternoon. It was a fun trip, and I look forward to going each year! I'm glad we have this tradition. I've put together a slideshow. I hope it comes out okay. I've never used Picture Trail. Let me know if you have trouble viewing the pictures.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

6 comments:

susansspace said...

Loved your description of your trip to the Fair, and the pictures, too! I felt like I was there!
So glad you all had a fun time!

HEATHER said...

I'm so glad you all had so much fun. Love the pictures!!! My favorite part is alway the animals & petting zoo.
Heather

Debra Kaye said...

Bethany,

What a great family adventure! The pictures slide show turned out great. I'd never heard of that before but it was awesome!

Glad you are home safe...when you catch up...you've been tagged!

Blessings to you, sweet sister!

Marsha said...

What great fun! Caleb looks so grown up in the picture with the umbrella.

Get some rest and see you later for TT!

Charlotte said...

Sounds like great fun. Great photos too.

sister sheri said...

Thanks for bringing us along for the ride!