Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Book #38: The Marriage You've Always Wanted by Gary Chapman

You may be familiar with Gary Chapman as he wrote the popular book The Five Love Languages. I have read another one of his books called The Marriage You’ve Always Wanted as well as The Marriage You’ve Always Wanted Bible Study.

I enjoyed reading these together and appreciated how they complimented each other. I didn’t find the study guide to be just a repeat of the book, which is often the case I’ve found with books/study guides. They went together but with new information and stories. One thing I really liked about the Bible study was looking up the answers to the questions in the Bible. Some of the verses are included in the text but some you have to look up yourself. It seems many times in other Bible studies a Bible reference is made and then the answer is given. The reader has to think and come up with his own answers in this study, which I liked. I found the questions to be appropriate and thought provoking.

Topics covered include forgiveness, positive response to anger, sexual fulfillment, money, listening, agreeing, and prayer.

I enjoy Chapman’s writing style because it is easy to read and has stories from real couples related to each topic. It is easy to relate to him and understand the points he makes for marriage.

I highly recommend this book and study guide for you. It would be great to do as a husband and wife or with a small group.

Have a day of blessings!

6 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks sweetie, I think lovebug and I will do this book together. I love your new blog look.

Ruthie said...

So nice to catch up with you again. We've been traveling much of the summer and not able to read or post in the blogging world.
We just celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary. What a blessing these years have been.
Blessings to you.

heididh33 said...

Thanks for saying a prayer for Deb!
I'll have to check this book out. I hear really good things about Gary Chapman.

Amanda said...

LOVING your blog!!! I think these books look great and would be willing to try them out based on your recommendation!

Blessings-
Amanda

Charlotte said...

Sounds like a really good book. Good review.
Charlotte

Musings of A Minister said...

I haven't read this book but I have some other books by Gary Chapman. This sounds like a good one. You wrote an excellent review.