Wednesday, December 31, 2008

As long as it is called Today

I have been so excited about this new weekly meme for Raindrops & Rainbows. If you are a regular reader, you may have noticed that lately I've been asking you random questions. I did this as a test to see if I could get any comments in answer to the questions and to find out some of my readers' blogging habits.

I have had this on my hearts for months. I want to do something on my blog that will foster a sense of community as well as be an encouragement for my readers. I want to get to know my readers better, and I feel we can all encourage each other through the answers to each week's question. Instead of making a whole new blog post about the question (although some questions may lead you to thinking about something you want to blog about later), you will leave your answer in the comments. I've decided to do this in this fashion so it will be something a little bit different and so it can hopefully be a resource you can use for encouragement in several areas of your life.


Here is how it will work. Each Friday I will post a new question; I have thought of many questions already and have my list started. I have questions that I hope anyone will be able to answer based on their experiences and background. I'll give my answer and everyone else can leave their answer. I intend for answers to be short...one or two sentences. My idea is that you post your answer here. Then come back the next Friday, click the link to the previous Friday's post, read everyone's answers to the previous week's question, and then answer that Friday's question. Does that make sense?


I have questions in these five categories.
1st Friday of month--Encouraging each other as Christian women (and men!)
2nd Friday of month--Encouraging each other as wives/husbands
3rd Friday of month--Encouraging each other as parents
4th Friday of month--Encouraging each other as home keepers
5th Friday of month (This will be for January, May, July, and October)--Encouraging each other with memories



It is my prayer that through your answers we will be able to learn about each other and be encouraged in our daily lives. For the title of this meme I have chosen "As long as it is called Today." I shared my ideas with my husband and told him I needed a name. We talked about having something to do with Barnabas or encouragers. Then I came across this verse when I was looking up references for "encourage." The next day I read a devotion at Laced With Grace, and the writer (Angie) used the same verse in her post. This was a confirmation to me to use this verse as my title.


"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness." Hebrews 3:13 NIV

We need to be encouraged in our daily walks. I know I have been continually encouraged as I've found new friends in the blog world. I hope this will be a way to encourage each other was well. Let me know if you have questions. I will have the first question posted Friday morning and hope you come back to answer it! I am thinking of doing a picture button but haven't done that yet, I'm not sure I even know how or what the picture will be.

Thanks! Happy New Year!

11 comments:

HEATHER said...

Sounds Awesome can't wait.....
Love in Christ
Heather

Laurie Ann said...

What a great idea! I'm so glad God has laid this on your heart.

Marsha said...

I love this new meme! Count me in.

Happy New Year!

Melanie said...

Great idea! I'll be back on Friday for the first question.

Denise said...

This sounds great sweetie. I love your blogs new look.

Anonymous said...

I will check back in on Friday...sounds like a wonderful idea!

Debra Kaye said...

Bethany,

I'll look forward to joining you for this time of encouragement!

Hugs to you!

susansspace said...

Me, too.

Happy New Year!

S: )

Kristi said...

This sounds like an incredible idea. I'll try to drop in on Friday.

Debbie Petras said...

This is a great idea! I'm studying Hebrews right now. So, I love the "Today" part. God is at work today. We are to participate today, not absorbed in the past or the future.

sister sheri said...

Awesome idea, Bethany! We definitely need to become a family of encouragers! Thanks for following the Lord's leading!