Saturday, July 19, 2008

SCC concert!

We had the wonderful opportunity to attend a concert with Steven Curtis Chapman. I'd seen him in concert before when I was in high school. We saw him do a show at Six Flags one summer. I've been following the blogs about his family closely since the tragic loss of his daughter Maria on May 21. Last night's concert was a benefit for the Mid Cities Pregnancy Center. (I plan to talk more about this in another post later next week.) I read on one of the blogs that SCC would begin his concerts again starting last weekend and found one in Texas so I ordered tickets back in June.

We arrived at our hotel only to find out it was the wrong hotel! I didn't really pay attention to the address; I just knew it was close to the location of the concert. My husband assumed I had booked the same hotel where we usually stay when we're in the Metroplex, and I didn't know it wasn't the same hotel by the address online! We went to check in and the clerk told us we had the wrong hotel! The right hotel was a few miles up the road (and a much nicer facility actually than our regular hotel).

After unloading we changed and went to eat. From our hotel room window I could see Don Pablo's in the next shopping center. We went over there and it was shut down to our surprise! We chose Olive Garden instead. Keep in mind it is 4 o'clock in the afternoon. We were told we'd have to wait 5 or 10 minutes. I was laughing inside at this situation. I couldn't see behind the scenes to see what the hold-up would possibly be; however, I was really getting tickled watching these three ladies try to seat the guests. There was one family waiting in front of us and then after they were seated another couple came in who apparently had already put their name on the list. Our meal was delicious and we made it down to the church for the concert at five. We didn't know what kind of traffic we'd come into on a Friday afternoon so we figured we'd get there and be early.

There was already quite a few vehicles at the parking lot. We got out and started walking towards the building. I figured we could at least find a shade tree. The doors were unlocked though so we went in and got in line! There were three or four entrances that were blocked off but lines were forming at each. We got in a line and waited. I stopped in one line first but then JMP saw another line that was shorter so we went to that door. We were near the front of the line. When it was time to go in at 6, we made our way down to the front of the auditorium. We were on the end of row 6! I was excited because in my dream of how it would happen we were up in the balcony far from the stage.

The concert started a little after 7. It was only SCC (his band wasn't with him) so it was a very personal concert. He played his guitar and a keyboard and talked a lot. I can't describe how amazing it was to be there and hear his stories. He started with the song "Blessed Be Your Name" and said he didn't know if he'd ever be able to sing a concert without singing that song. It was the song, more of a cry he said, that came to mind on the afternoon of May 21. It touched my heart to hear him speak of the hope his family has. He mentioned that word over and over through everything he said. He clearly has been though a devastating loss yet he is looking to God for his strength each day. He shared the encouragement he's found in Psalm 138.

I was excited that he sang two of my most favorite songs: "I Will Be Here" and "One Heartbeat at a Time."

Afterwards we talked about how genuine and sincere he is in all the things he said and his music. It was such a blessing to be able to go! We were both blessed to hear him speak from his heart about the hope he has. One thing he said he's learned through the tragedy is how all of the meanings of all his songs have changed so much to mean so much more to him now after what his family has been through.
Here are 2 pictures. It was hard to take a picture with the lighting. Having the camera on night shot made the picture blurry and if I put it on a different mode, it came out too dark!


Continue to lift up this family in your prayers as they approach the two month mark since the accident.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever— do not abandon the works of your hands." Psalm 138:8

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

Wow - what a priviledge to be there at that concert. It must be hard for him to sing - he's been in our prayers.
Thanks for sharing your special concert with us.
Smiles.

Marsha said...

I'm so glad you got to go! I know I've been praying for them, especially each time I hear one of his sons, which is everyday. What a testimony they are. Thanks for much for sharing this.

Mommyluann said...

I'm glad you had a good time. I've been keeping up with the Chapman's too.