Monday, December 17, 2007

Book: The 4:8 Principle

I found this book at our library in the new book section. I think it caught my eye with the numbers in the title because I was reading 3:16 by Max Lucado at the time. It is called The 4:8 Principle by Tommy Newberry. I'd never read anything by him.

The basis of the book is the verse found in Phillipains 4:8 (NKJV).

"Finally, brethren,
whatever things are true,
whatever things are noble,
whatever things are just,
whatever things are pure,
whatever things are lovely,
whatever things are of good report,
if there is any virtue and
if there is anything praiseworthy--
meditate on these things."
I guess the main idea that sticks out in my mind is that we have a choice what goes into our minds and about what thoughts we think. If we think about junk or speak junk about ourselves, our lives, a situation...we're going to eventually believe that. It won't be reality but we'll think it and believe it. Examples of some junk thoughts given by the author include: I'm never going to be that happy again. This probably won't work. That always happens. I am not worthy. We can't agree on anything. That's just who I am. We need to have joy-producing thoughts instead. Some of those examples are: I am responsible. I expect the best, and it shows! I change what I need to change. God has great plans for me! I can improve this situation.
Don't get me wrong, I know we all have problems. Just because you have positive thoughts doesn't mean problems will be immediately solved. I think though that our attitude about the problems we're facing are often not very good. We feel like we're doomed and don't expect change so we never see any change or improvements. Kinda like the philosophy in teaching when you have high expectations for each student because students will meet the expectations you place on them more often than not.
The second thing that sticks out in my mind from this book is that we have to be careful about our thoughts. What kinds of things are we letting into our minds through our television, music, and other media? Do these images and stories bring joy to our lives or negativity and gloom? We don't need to focus on the bad all the time or have constant bad input.
This book really made me think about the potential for each day and gave me some ideas of things I can change in my own life.
------------------------------------------------
"Now we can come fearlessly right into God's presence, assured of his glad welcome when we come with Christ and trust in him." Ephesians 3:12 TLB

4 comments:

Kathy said...

That sounds like something I would like to read. Thanks for sharing about it. I have been wondering about the Max Lucado book you mentioned -- is it good?

bp said...

Yes I enjoyed 3:16. I have always enjoyed Max Lucado and this was another good one I thought. I'd recommend it! It is an easy read. I didn't finish all of the forty day devotional thought chapters at the back because it was on hold at the library so I had to turn it in!

Stylin said...

Hi BP,
I came here from Kathys blog,anyone Kathy recommends has to be good !And she is right!!
I agree with you about how we think horrible things and that crowds out the good stuff!
It somewhat co-incides with what I blogged about today!!!

Kay Day said...

Excellent concepts! I actually leared those from another book and they have been extrememly helpful to me over the years.
When a stray thought comes to mind, I run through the list of things to think on and if it doesn't fit, out it goes!
also, take every thought captive to the ovedience of Christ. Can't remember where that's found.