Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Flashback Friday



I missed Flashback Friday last week as we are without a computer right now. I wanted to participate with last week's questions today since I have so many Christmas memories! Linda asked us about Christmas gifts.

My Flashback:
We would open our gifts at home on Christmas morning. I remember one year we went to Meemaw's house and we took the gifts with us. The gifts were always from my parents, they always told me the truth about santa. My gifts were always wrapped. Once we put up our tree there would always be some gifts under it, and a couple would be for me. Then on Christmas morning there would be more under the tree with my name on them along with a full stocking. The stocking had pens, candy, and stickers. I'd go shopping with my Dad to help pick out gifts for my Mom.

One Christmas that I remember was when Peepaw came over to watch me open my gifts. There was one box that was so big. I told him I thought it was an elephant. I don't know how old I was but my perception was that it was a very large box. It turned out to be a baby doll cradle.

I never peeked, I didn't want the surprise to be ruined! I did look to find which ones had my name on them though! One year I saw one long box and said I bet that's a gun. It was a BB gun when I opened it.

We'd go to have Christmas with extended family. One year Peepaw had me come behind the couch with my eyes closed. He had made me a hope chest. It was a very special gift because he had made it for me. He had had some health problems that year and was worried he'd be unable to finish the hope chest. The hope chest is a treasure to me. He had a little engraved label on the top that says To My Sweetheart. I love the picture of me seeing the hope chest for the first time and hugging Peepaw.

Have a day of blessings!

3 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I especially loved hearing about your hope chest!

Denise said...

Such sweet, sweet memories.

Karen said...

Such precious memories of the love you shared. Have a wonderful Christmas.