Friday, November 19, 2010

Flashback Friday: Thanksgiving


This week our Flashback Friday is about Thanksgiving.

My Flashback:

I've always enjoyed Thanksgiving. As a child I remember many times that the TV would be on for the Macy's parade. Many years we went to my aunt/uncle's house for Thanksgiving. Sometimes we would go to Peepaw's house. He always wanted oyster dressing so there was always a separate little pan for his own dressing. I don't remember football being that important; I remember playing with my cousins and of course lots of eating and then eating some more! We had a tradition for a long time that my cousin would always come home with us after our Thanksgiving meal to spend the night at our house.

One tradition that I had was to make a thankful picture. I think I did this every year. Now I continue this tradition and make a thankful picture with Caleb. When he was little I would cut pictures out of magazines of things he liked and help him glue them on. Now he can write the words and draw the pictures himself. I continue to make one of my own too.

I've always loved the variety of foods served at Thanksgiving. One thing I like to make is broccoli salad. I made this the first time as part of a 4-H Food Show and then continued to make it for years at Thanksgiving. I don't make it every year now but still enjoy making it (besides it feeling like it takes so long to cut all the broccoli!). Pecan pie is a must for Thanksgiving with lots of cool whip! I also like to have pistachio pudding. Only a couple years ago I tried sweet potatoes for the first time. I always thought I wouldn't like them I guess, but I really do enjoy them and look forward to having them at Thanksgiving. Or maybe it's the yummy marshmallows on top I really love so much. When we have leftovers, Mom will put them in a pan and add new marshmallows to the top. I've also recently started liking cranberry sauce....this is something else I never really tried, but now I love it. I'm going to try a recipe this year I saw in Taste of Home for cranberry-apple chutney. I hope it turns out as yummy as it looks in the picture!

Now we go to my Mom's house for Thanksgiving. We normally go on Tuesday evening. She cooks a ton of food, I always tease her it's enough for the whole town to show up. Usually various family members show up at some point through the day. I always make a point to take a family picture on Thanksgiving as well. Usually in the early evening my husband leaves to go to the deer lease for the weekend with his Dad and brothers.

This year is going to be a very different Thanksgiving. We are P O S S I B L Y moving. We'll know for sure soon!

Have a day of blessings!

7 comments:

heididh33 said...

moving??? :)

Joyce said...

I'm going to check out the chutney recipe...that sounds good!

Thanks for sharing your memories today-Happy Thanksgiving!

Joyce said...

I'm going to check out the chutney recipe...that sounds good!

Thanks for sharing your memories today-Happy Thanksgiving!

Karen said...

Great memories! Hope all goes smoothly for you regarding the move.

Mocha with Linda said...

What fun memories! We never had sweet potatoes growing up, but I like them, either with marshmallows or pecans on top.

Loren said...

What a wonderful tradition! Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving! A new home! :) Much to be thankful for!!

Mary said...

I just love Thanksgiving! Watchingt he Macy's Parade was a must!