Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Book review: In Search of Wisdom



About the book:
The book of Proverbs is a treasure trove of spiritual and practical wisdom that equips us to live our best lives. Knowledge is important, but if it isn't converted into action, it fails to create transformational change in our lives. It is important to gain a thoughtful and practical understanding of the seven foundational principles in the book of Proverbs:
  • Wisdom,
  • Understanding,
  • Prudence,
  • Knowledge,
  • Discretion,
  • Discernment, and
  • Fear of the Lord.
If we desire to possess these qualities, we must make a commitment to a deeper understanding and implementation of these values in our daily lives.

Featuring inspiring questions to promote thoughtful reflection, In Search of Wisdom will enlighten you with God's understanding and teach you the foundational principles and secure God's help in practicing them.

My thoughts:
I was excited to be able to read this book because it fits in perfectly with one of my goals for 2021!  I have printed a calendar to color off each day when I read the Proverb of the day.  I want to do this all year.  Many of the Proverbs are familiar to me, but I am excited at how I will learn new things from this book.

There are many things I like about this book.  I have read several books by Joyce Meyer and have found this one to be similar to previous ones. First, the font is easy to read and a good size.  Second, it is written in an easy to understand format.  She begins this book by explaining/defining the "seven foundational principles" that we find throughout the book of Proverbs.  These principles are wisdom, understanding, prudence, knowledge, discretion, discernment, and fear of the Lord.  I know I've heard these terms throughout my life, but it is helpful to have them explained in a way I understand.  The rest of the book is 31 chapters, one to go with each chapter of Proverbs.  Third, I like how she incorporates other scriptures to go with the specific proverb she is discussing.  It is good for me to see how verses throughout the Bible are tied together.  

I recommend this book to anyone who would like to gain a better understanding of the book of Proverbs.  I'm sure you will learn something new!  

I received a copy of this book for my review from Hachette book group for my honest review.  Thank you.

Have a day of blessings! 
 Bethany

No comments: