Friday, January 18, 2013

Audio book: Operation Screwtape


Honestly, I was not sure I really wanted to listen to this book when it came up for my review.  It is called Operation Screwtape-- The Art of Spiritual War by Andrew Farley.  I read what it was about and thought it sounded interesting, but it wasn't really in my type of books that I normally read or choose to listen to.  But I decided I would give it a try since I have been interested in spiritual warfare lately. 

Book Description:
KNOW THE ENEMY.
ANTICIPATE HIS ATTACK.

Expert linguist Dr. Andrew Farley encounters a device containing thousands of archived files revealing a worldwide spiritual conspiracy. Operation Screwtape is the largest of these files and details the intelligent scheme to steal, kill, and destroy.

My thoughts:
I will say first that the narrator, David Cochran Heath, did a wonderful job.  He has a great voice for this book and adds an evil sounding laugh too.  He really made the book enjoyable for me.

This book is interesting and will definitely cause you to stop and think.  It is somewhat confusing at first, and you have to get into the right frame of mind to listen to it (one of the reasons I wasn't sure I wanted to listen in the first place).  It is written from the perspective of satan and things he does....steal, kill, and destroy.  For example, he steals clarity, confidence, and intimacy.  He kills focus, resources, and holiness.  He destroys freedom, unity, and leaders.

What this book makes me wonder is if we as Christians truly live aware of the power we have AND how the enemy is doing everything he can to get us off track.  The ways he uses are truly cunning.  When I heard them from this perspective, it made me more aware of things in my own life that are attacks of the enemy.  We need to pay attention and realize the power we have with Christ in us and stop allowing the enemy into our lives. 

I thought this book was well-written.  I will also add that if I was reading this book (instead of listening) there were some things I would want to stop and look up in the Bible because I wasn't sure they were accurate in how they were presented in the book. 

I received this book from to the christianaudio Reviewers Program.

Have a day of blessings!

1 comment:

Karen said...

I had heard of this book but didn't know what it was about. Thanks for your review. I heard a pastor recently say: In these times, Satan is playing every hand he has, but JESUS holds the trump card!! God bless you.