Saturday, November 5, 2011

Coming together

Friday afternoon I saw a Facebook status from a news station that there was a wreck involving a bus of students and faculty from ACU.  It wasn't confirmed who it was, but my heart sank as I knew of a group from the department of agriculture heading to a children's home to do a weekend of service work.  I checked a map and found the location of the wreck would have been on the path to the children's home so I waited to hear more.  Soon it was confirmed that it was that group of students headed to the children's home.  The driver had lost control and the bus flipped.  The passengers were seriously injured and flown to area hospitals.  One ACU student died. 

I know some of these people personally.  Just last Saturday I was speaking to one of the ladies about the trip.  It just doesn't seem real that these same people are now injured and this same lady is in critical condition in ICU. 

I am proud to be a graduate of ACU.  It was a wonderful place and holds so many memories for me.  Once word got out about the accident, people from all over were gathered around lifting everyone up in prayer.  A prayer vigil was held on campus.  I noticed at this time that when one part of the body suffers, we all hurt as brothers and sisters in Christ.  It is a blessing too to be able to come together to encourage and lift each other up during hard times.    You can read an article here about the ACU community from the ACU campus newspaper

Please join me in praying for the ACU family and all those involved...the parents who had to receive such devastating news, friends, roommates, professors, the ag department, the driver of the bus. 

My heart has been so saddened by this devastating tragedy.  I have been reminded how life can change in an instant.  We never know how much time we will be here.  Make the most of your days.  Enjoy your family and friends.  Make happy memories.  Do the things you enjoy.  Live for Jesus. 

Have a day of blessings!

4 comments:

Nikki (Sarah) said...

Hi Bethany, I read the article and it's horrible. It makes it hit home that all we know that we have for sure is this moment and to live the best we can right now. Praying for those families. :(

HeARTworks said...

Yes life can change in an instant. I am soooo thankful for ordinary days! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Charlotte said...

This is so sad. My hubby is a proud graduate of ACU. It was ACC back in 1957 when he graduated. I know it is even more tragic for those of you with ties to that school.
Prayers and blessings,
Charlotte

BARBIE said...

Hey Bethany, you won my Courageous giveaway over on my blog. Please send me your address so that I can forward it to DaySpring! Thanks for entering!