Monday, November 23, 2009

2009 Book #44: The Well-Behaved Child by John Rosemond

The Well-Behaved Child from Thomas Nelson is a book that helps parents learn how to effectively discipline children. In this book “America’s most widely read parenting expert” John Rosemond discusses the fundamentals of effective discipline and discipline tools for parents to use. He has a chapter on seven common behavior problems--bedtime battles, food fights (this includes things like children refusing to eat), stealing and lying, sibling warfare, refusing to use the potty, tantrums, and defiance.

Discipline is one of those issues every parent struggles with at one time or another. In my opinion this author has some good tools for parents to use to get their children to behave. The main point is that the parents need to make the issue, whatever it is, a problem for the child and not let it become a problem for the parent. For example, repeatedly making threats to the child or getting all worked up over their misbehavior isn’t giving the child any incentive to stop whatever behavior you want stopped. However, if you give a consequence like sending the child to bed early that night for the behavior with no questions asked, then it gives them a problem. They don’t want to go to bed early so then it becomes a problem for them. The author gives examples of parents who have used his methods with success.


I read this book to count towards my continuing education hours. He made many references to parents and teachers working together to solve behavior issues.

I was turned off by this book in the first few pages because the author referred to children as “demon spawn of satan.” I couldn’t believe this when I read this. I would never refer to my child in this way. I have spent time in the classroom and seen a range of children, and I would never classify any child in this way either. I was turned off because of this in the first few pages. Throughout the book the author discredits psychologists and others in the field that they are making incorrect diagnoses for parents regarding children’s behavior problems. It seemed to me that he believes his way is the only way and all others are incorrect. I just don’t believe this. I’m sure his methods do work; I do not doubt that. It just felt all a bit extreme to me in how he presented it and his attitude that came across to me in his writing.


This book was easy to read and the stories he used from parents were interesting. This book gave me ideas of things to try in our parenting. I wouldn’t tell you to go buy this for yourself though. Read it from the library instead if you are interested.

Have a day of blessings!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Great review Bethany... I think I would have felt the same way as you!!!

Wow!

Blessings-
Amanda