Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What were you made to do?

Over Mother's Day weekend we visited my Mom. Friday night we arrived to town later than normal because Caleb had a ball game before we left town. We got ready for bed after playing with Mom's new Wii. (Such fun!) It was a cool night, and we'd left the window open before going to bed. I looked forward to sleeping in a little bit on Saturday morning. It was such a nice thing to sleep and not wake up till something like 5:30 the first time. (I don't always sleep all night through at home because I'll hear Caleb or he'll come try to get by me in bed so I'll take him back to his bed.)

It was nice to fall back to sleep at 5:30. Later I looked around and realized it was morning. Besides the sun shining in the window (which I really noticed because at home I have a room darkening shade!), I could hear some birds chirping away. I thought to myself why did we leave that window open? Those birds seem so loud. Maybe they wouldn't be so loud and keep me from sleeping a little bit later if we'd closed the window. Then I thought to myself, but isn't that what they are supposed to do? Didn't God make them to sing their little songs, morning after morning, with the rising of the sun ? Those little birds were just doing what they were made to do, and I changed my attitude as I stayed curled in bed listening to them chirp.

What about you? What were you made to do? Are you doing that? Do you keep doing that thing you were made to do no matter what, or do you let yourself get sidetracked? Do you let fear of what others think or worry about not being good enough stop you from doing what you were made to do? Do you think it pleases the Father when you make excuses for not doing what you were made to do?

I'm glad God gives us little reminders like happily chirping birds to remind us we are made to serve and worship Him.
~~~~~~~~~~
"Exalt the LORD our God and worship at his footstool; he is holy." Psalm 99:5

4 comments:

Amanda said...

These are amazing questions Bethany... that really deserve some attention and thought. You are good to ask... and I am going to ponder them!!

Hope you are having a blessed day!

God bless-
Amanda

Pamela said...

Ahh, the birds!!! I love the sound of the birds in the morning.
It's so quiet here in the winter when there are no birds, it's something i look forward to in the spring and summer!!
Excellent post. Makes me think about what I was made to do!!

Musings of A Minister said...

I hope so! I felt "called" to preach and did for forty-seven years. Now I spend time reading, hopefully growing, sharing with others what I learn and trying to encourage others to live for Christ.

Runnergirl Creations said...

That's good! Thanks for sharing. :)