Saturday, March 14, 2009

2009 Book #10: A Voice in the Wind

I have read a few books by Francine Rivers. I just finished A Voice in the Wind last week. I found myself with lots of reading time while waiting at the hospital. Maybe this book should count as double since it is 500 pages!

This is just an amazing story. The book begins at the fall of Jerusalem when the main character Hadassah loses her entire family. This book is her story. She is taken as a slave to Rome and serves a wealthy family there. She grows to love this family and tries to reach out to them with the love of Christ, even though she could be killed for professing to be a Christian. I learned so much from her character--she was a true servant, she struggles with how to witness to her master and family. I wondered as I read if I could ever serve with such faith and dedication.

A friend loaned me her copy of the book. It took me a while to finish this. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and actually I was surprised how quickly I got into it when I started reading it over the Christmas holidays. Now I'll have to read book #2 in the series.
~~~~~~~~~~
"But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness." Psalm 86:15

2 comments:

Denise said...

Sounds wonderful.

Sarah said...

the whole trilogy is excellent. we read them as they were coming out in high school. they were our family reading time at night. my parents went ahead and read aloud even the questionable parts and explained things if we had questions, which i think is a good way to deal with it.