Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A monumental occasion!

Last night was FPU lesson #4 Dumping Debt. It is such a wonderful lesson, and I love the stories told by Dave Ramsey. Since my husband is the coordinator I'd looked ahead in his book and realized last night was the night it said to cut up the credit card. We've talked about this for a while. To be honest it always made me nervous! We really don't have any reason to keep the thing. Still I was nervous about actually cutting it up. Just as Dave talks about in the movie, we get these feelings associated with our card that we can't get rid of it, we've had it since college, it was my first credit card, etc. These were the feelings I had--it was my first credit card and I'd had it since college. Also, it had a picture of ACU on the card of Chapel on the Hill where we got married.

I'm happy to say though we did cut up our card last night. It was a good thing to do, and I hope others in the class will join us in future weeks in saying NO to our culture who thinks we have to have credit cards to live. That is just a myth we've come to believe as truth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender." Proverbs 22:7

12 comments:

Debra Kaye said...

Bethany,

It's funny how we have a false sense of security in those things too, huh? I'm proud of you guys! I pray for your husband's wisdom and leading in that class. May the Lord continue to bless it.

Hugs to you today, my sister.

Marsha said...

Way to go!

My hubby is the coordinator for one at our church right now. We'll be on week 2 this week. It's turned into a real community outreach. There's 36 people in attendance and most of them are not even from our church! One of the families started attending our church after they came out to the sign up session.

Have a blessed day, today!

Denise said...

Good for you my friend, that is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO!!! You are a rock star! Only with better credit! :)

Have a blessed day!
Amanda

In Light of the Truth... said...

wow, way to go!! that's a HUGE step in reaching financial freedom!!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Bravo!

We are trying to live debt free too. It's a freeing feeling.

Natalie said...

What a huge accomplishment!! Not many people can say that. That is wonderful!

Ruthie said...

Wow - that was a big accomplishment for you. Congratulations.

sister sheri said...

Yahoo! Makes me think of being in the world, but not of it... or a peculiar people... or strangers on this earth...

I can hear God saying... well done, good and faithful servant...

Michele Williams said...

Wonderful! I'm wanting to do that program too... God bless you my friend.

Savannah is Marsha's grandbaby... I'd love to have that sweet baby... but I can't take credit for her...

Blessings

Susannah said...

Amen! It sounds like you're learning some valuable lessons from Dave Ramsey. :~D

Runnergirl Creations said...

Amen to that! What a great celebration!! :)