Sunday, January 4, 2009

Proverbs & Prayers: Week #1

I enjoyed memorizing verses last year and having a new verse each week to think about and memorize. Some weeks I had more trouble than others committing the verse to memory. A couple weeks ago was one of those weeks. I'd keep looking back at the verse to see if I had it all the way memorized or not.

We need to be careful at all times what we allow in our thoughts. Verse memorization is a great way to fill your heart with things of God. Flipping through my spiral cards I noticed how many of the verses were from the New Testament so this year I'm going to have a verse each week from Proverbs. I read through the book of Proverbs in November and jotted down the verses that jumped out at me. Then I went back and reread the ones I'd written down, circling the ones that were special to me again. I have 52 Proverbs ready to go!

I hope you'll join me. I know of one friend already who is going to join me in memorizing. I'll post a new Proverb each Sunday. Most of them are one verse but some are two verses back-to-back.

Week #1: Proverbs 1:5-- "Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance."

I also still want to pray for you this year. I'm just going to combine the verse and prayer list into one post this year. Please let me know if I can pray for you this week. These are requests I already have:

* Sheri's son Christopher.

* Kristi's daughter Rachel.

* Marsha's request for "J."

* Debra's family during their time of loss.

* friend Shasta, one of her infant twins has RSV.

* friend who is moving from Texas to Oregon.

* a little boy named Connor, 4 years old, fighting cancer and having a rough week.

* another friend whose daughter was diagnosed this week with juvenile diabetes.

Please feel free to share your requests in the comments or by emailing me and I'll post them in the sidebar. God bless you this first full week of 2009! I hope it's a great week for you as you get back into the routine of life (that's what we'll be doing at least!).

5 comments:

Marsha said...

Here's another one from me...
~ Journey mercies - I'm driving solo for 11-12 hours on Monday.
~ Pray for my week with my Mom and step-dad; his health is deteriorating rapidly.
~ Pray that they would speak openly to each other here as it appears the end is drawing near.

Michele Williams said...

I want to thank you for your prayers for my health, my daughter Heather, my sister, Marsha, my step father, Chris... I truly appreciate your heartfelt prayers.

My chronic health problems are continual, but I have been fighting a head and chest cold since last Sunday. It just doesn't want to leave... I keep telling it that it's not welcome, but it just won't leave! lol..I am also having difficulties sleeping due to pain. I am so tired, but in so much pain all over. I would appreciate prayers to be able to sleep a decent nights sleep.

Also, Marsha and I just found out that our step father is failing healthwise... He is in kidney failure and they may not be able to do dyalisis because of his viens and heart. Marsha will be traveling on Monday to see mom and Chris and see what she can do to help. Pray for traveling mercies for Marsha... she will drive straight through by herself... 11 hours...
Thank you...God bless you dear friend.

Kristi said...

I have tears after reading your post today. I was just dropping in to read your new post for the day...what a wonderful surprise. I am overwhelmed by your generosity in praying for my precious daughter. I don't have the words to express my grattitude.

Pamela said...

I'm happy to be joining you in the verse memorization this year!!
Thankyou!!

sister sheri said...

Sweetie! Thanks for praying for Christopher... for lifting him up to our heavenly Father... even without me asking! You are a blessing, my sister!