Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Matthew 5:5

"You're blessed when you're content with just who you are--no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought. You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat." Matthew 5:5, 6 MSG

The above verse was on two flip calendars I have this week. I love it when I find multiple references to the same theme or topic or even exact verse over and over in a few days time.

Here is the verse in NIV as well to share. It's from The Beatitudes.

"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness."

When I read it the first time on the calendar what jumped out to me was the idea of contentment. Being content is something that is so important in my life, and I feel I've grown (and continue to grow) in that area. It makes me sad to see people being weighed down with issues in life because they aren't content. I just want to show them how much easier and less complicated their lives would be if they'd only be content. I don't think contentment is something you can really teach someone either; they must learn it for themselves. They may say with their words or consider themselves as being content, but they're actions and behaviors speak otherwise.

I also like the idea of having a "good appetite" for God. Food is something we can all relate to easily. It is a good reminder to me to ask myself if I hunger for God as I desire physical food.

Thank You, God, for showing me these verses two times this week.
---------------------------------------------------------
"God blesses those who are humble, for they will inherit the whole earth. God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they will be satisfied." Matthew 5:5,6 New Living Translation

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I enjoyed reading this post, and thanks for sharing the verses in different versions. I can tell since reading your blog for a while that you are a content person. I think I have grown in this area also over the years. I really believe that contentment is closely related to a relationship with the Lord and finding contentment in Him. Thanks for sharing your heart!