Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Wednesday Hodgepodge


1. This week's Hodgepodge lands on Ash Wednesday which signals the beginning of Lent. Do you mark this season in some way? If so tell us more. Did you grow up 'celebrating' Lent? Is attending church part of your weekly routine? Are churches open for in-person worship where you live? 

I have never celebrated Lent. We did not celebrate Lent growing up.

Yes we have always attended church services.  As a kid we always went Sunday morning and evening.  Our church we have attended the past 3 years or so has Sunday morning class and service, small groups on Sunday evening, and classes on Wednesday  night.  That has all changed the past year.  Our church as been open but still with CDC guidelines....separate exits, masks, pews roped off, an overflow room.  They started having class again back in the fall and then that stopped once numbers in our area rose again.  They did start up again Feb. 7 but last week didn't because of weather.  They also offer an online option which has been a blessing.

2. When is the last time you sat beside a 'real' fire? Do you have a fireplace in your home? Wood or gas logs? Favorite thing cooked over a fire? 
We have a fire when we go to the deer lease.  Titus likes to help make it.

We have a  wood fireplace in our home.  I've been by it a lot the past week with our extreme cold here.  We are very thankful to have it as we have cut back on our electricity usage as our state is having blackouts.  

We like s'mores!  When we go to the river on Memorial Day, my mother in law does a roast in a Dutch oven in the coals that is delicious.  




3. Something that's currently got you fired up? 
Well it definitely has me annoyed the way people complain.  Lately is has been about the decisions made for our school this week.  (See question 6)  People were really griping about it that the school had remote learning Tuesday.  I was pleased that the school was prepared for this situation, the students had their Chrome Books, and we were told last week this was probably going to be the case (based on the weather forecast).  It seems no matter what you do people will find something to gripe and complain about....and often it seems to  always be the same people.  

4. February also happens to be National Cabbage Day. Who knew? Do you like cabbage? Is cabbage on your menu Wednesday? Of the following cabbage dishes which is your favorite-coleslaw (mayo or vinegar?), sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, cabbage soup, kielbasa and cabbage, grilled cabbage, bubble and squeak, kimchi, or haluski? 

I do not eat cabbage very often now, but I would eat it.  I remember my Mom used to cook it with our supper.  I don't like the smell of sauerkraut.  I will eat a bite of coleslaw if my husband has it with his meal from Cane's. 

5. Do you hang on to pennies? What do you do with them? Last thing you purchased for $1.00? Last thing you purchased for $5.00? 
I put pennies in a piggy bank.  I have a Tootsie Roll bank on the dryer for coins found in the laundry.  I have another Tootsie Roll bank in a cabinet in the kitchen where I put extra change.  The pennies go in there.  Dimes I specifically save out in a 2 liter bottle.  I've been doing that for a couple years, testing to see how long it takes to fill it with only dimes.  

I purchase many things for $1.00 at the Dollar Tree.  I like their packs of cards and also get the small bottles of Tide there for the blessing box at our church for the community.

 It sure on my last $5 purchase....it may have been some fabric (or close to that price). 

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I am in Texas and it is C O L D.    It has not been this cold for this many days ever that I remember.  We have record snowfall.  These pictures are from Monday I guess, now it is snowing more (typing this on Tuesday evening).  

There have been rolling blackouts and outages all over the state.  I have heard that every county in the state has had snow.  Today's temp is 21.  It has been about 3 degrees.  

School was out Monday due to President's Day and Tuesday went to remote learning.  The area started losing power and water so now school is just cancelled for at least the next two days.  

We are safe and warm.  We have cut back on water usage as well as electricity.  Ours has not gone out yet (thankfully).  

It is supposed to warm up to the 40s on Friday.  It's just been crazy!





Have a day of blessings! 
 Bethany

4 comments:

Joyce said...

There's no pleasing some people. I feel for the school administrators in this season and wish we could extend grace. Everyone is doing the best they can with what they know at the time. No snow here but we're supposed to have all day downpours tomorrow which create problems of another kind. I am so ready for nice weather!

Pamela said...

Cooking in a Dutch oven in the coals is awesome! We used to have a Skills Day for the Girl Scouts every year and the person in charge of campfire cooking always had the best recipes for us to sample.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

This weather!!!! Neither Texas or Louisiana is prepared for such severity. I'm so over it and would like to think that we can get out tomorrow but it's not looking very promising at the time. We had no sun today and we needed some to melt the top layer of ice that froze last night. Our daughter and DIL are both teachers and they talk a lot about pleasing parents and how it is an impossibility. As you said, some folks can just never be satisfied. Hope it warms up your way.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

S-mores are the best. I haven't had one in a long time. I love to saute cabbage and eat it over rice with some Secrets Coconut aminos which replaced soy sauce for me. It's fun, after years of saving coins, to cash them in and see how much you saved. I can't believe what's been going on in Texas. My poor mother in law who is 93 was just in bed with blankets. Mark's brother couldn't even drive to bring her to their house. All is well now.