Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Our Family Vacation....Part 3!

As I checked my emails Tuesday night I had one from Tuesday morning that said it was the confirmation for our White House tour at 9 a.m. on Wednesday morning.  I was not expecting that!  We had applied for a White House tour in April and the information said we'd hear back 2-3 weeks prior to our trip if we were approved for it. (That's how I understood it!)  We started looking at the information about visiting the White House and there was a lot of rules and regulations.  I asked if my husband and Caleb wanted to go, and Titus and I could just stay at the hotel.  (I wasn't sure how we would do it without his stroller or any bags and such because there isn't a place to store that stuff and you can't take it inside with you.)  They both wanted to see it and this worked out great!  Titus and I slept in and that was just what I needed.  We had a late breakfast, and then the boys came back.  They had a great time at the White House and enjoyed their tour! 



After they got back we went to do our tour at Arlington Cemetery.  I'm so glad we got to go back.  It was very beautiful and moving. 

We watched the changing of the guard ceremony again and saw the gravesites of President Kennedy and family.

We went for a late lunch at the USDA Headquarters building.  It is a huge building! 

Then we went to the Air and Space Museum.  There was lots of fun things to see in here.



Thursday morning we had tickets for a Washington by Water monuments river cruise.  We took our first Uber ride to go there to Alexandria to get on the boat.  It took us to Georgetown and we had lunch there before riding back. 


We stopped for (expensive) ice cream on the way back. 

That night we had supper and got some souvenirs. 

We headed to the airport with the hotel shuttle.  It was supposed to leave at 11:55, but there was a delay. It was a maintenance issue they were fixing.  Then they had to get a new crew. I don't know what time it was when we finally left but it was near 6 when we got back to Texas.

We walked outside and knew we were back in Texas with the suffocating heat!  It was 109 when we got back I think.

We stopped for delicious supper at El Fenix (with the sweetest waitress) before driving home.  It was nearly midnight when we got home. 

We had a travel agent who helped us plan this trip.  She did a fabulous job and I would recommend her if you need help planning any trip.  Please send me a message if you would like her contact information. 

Our hotel in DC was the Hampton Inn and Suites.  It was very nice and not too far from a metro station.  The only negative was that the swimming pool was under renovation so we didn't get to use that and I know the boys would have enjoyed that in the evenings.

We used the Metro a lot when we were there.  My husband figured it out pretty quickly as he had been there before. 

We are glad to be home and really enjoyed all we got to see and do on our vacation.  It was a special trip we've dreamed about for a long time and fun to get to actually do it!

Have a day of blessings! 
   Bethany

1 comment:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a fabulous trip you had. I'm so happy for you. Traveling is always filled with delays. Yes, there is nothing like that Texas heat except for Florida heat! We have been very hot this summer and we start to get humidity when it get over 100 but nothing compared to Texas! We are heading to Montana to visit with Amber and Dylan. We will be driving and Skye is going with us. (along with her anxiety pills)