Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Book: A Letter for Every Mother


About the book:
Kara Lawler and Regan Long invite readers to join their tribe of mothers and be encouraged, uplifted and inspired on their parenting journey. A LETTER FOR EVERY MOTHER is the perfect gift for every mother.

In A LETTER FOR EVERY MOTHER, authors Kara Lawler and Regan Long have written a heartwarming compilation of letters addressed to mothers from all walks of life, meant to celebrate, inspire and commiserate with all stages of the parenting journey. This book will encourage, inspire and uplift mothers from all walks of life.

Kara and Regan invite readers to join their tribe of mothers, to learn from one another and band together to face one of the hardest jobs in the world: becoming and being someone's mother. Their mission is to inspire and to create a community through this book to remind mothers that we're all in this together-an especially welcome message in the current atmosphere of competition and anxiety of parenting.

A LETTER FOR EVERY MOTHER is warm, inviting, inclusive-and the tone is inspirational or irreverent, depending on the letter or subject you happen to turn to. After all, motherhood is an oxymoronic experience; it is both exhilarating and exhausting, uplifting and demeaning, wonderful but terrible, too.

My thoughts:
I was excited when I read the description of this book and really liked it when I first got it.  I even hurried to finish reading another book so I could start this one and focus on it.  However, by the middle I did not like it.  I rarely post negative reviews, but I just can't give a recommendation for this book. Here are my reasons:

1. I do not like when books use 4 letter words....that was the case in this book a few times. It felt like they were thrown in for no reason and that really bothers me.  Also it uses the Lord's name in vain.  This is not how I talk and I don't like to read it either. I get it that people use these words in real life. I hear them in my life but I don't like to read them.

2.  The authors (one more than the other) seem so negative about motherhood.  I know she is trying to say how as moms we all struggle with issues with our kids and being busy and such.  But it got old reading how tired she is as a mom and how much chaos she has in home and how she has to go to work every day and how she had to go back to work when her children were so little.  She did not paint motherhood in a very positive light.  She said good things about her children and how much it means to be a mom but she was just so negative that it got annoying to read it in letter after letter.

3.  I was expecting letters for some mothers that were not in this book....mothers who have faced miscarriages, mothers dealing with infertility, mothers who have lost a child, mothers who are "empty nesters," or mothers who stay at home to name a few. None of these were addressed....I'm assuming because the authors have no experience with any of these.  This made me think the title doesn't fit this book.

After I read a while it felt like I was reading the same letter over and over.  It would be fine to read one of these occasionally, but it got annoying to read them in a book with the same complaints about motherhood.  It seemed like a whole lot of whining...."my life is so hard because I'm a Mom."

As I said I rarely ever post negative reviews.  I was excited to read this book, but I just can't recommend it to you. 

I received this book for my honest review from Hachette book group. Thank you. 

Have a day of blessings! 
   Bethany

No comments: