Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge

The Hodgepodge is back this week after being on a break last week (which worked out nicely for me since I was out of town for vacation).  
 

 
1. Summertime is a season of reunions, weddings, and other family celebrations and gatherings...are any of the above on your calendar in the next two months?  Caleb's birthday is in August.  We've been to two weddings recently. 

2. June is National Iced Tea Month...are you an iced tea drinker? If so, how do you like yours (sweet, flavored, etc)? I enjoy iced tea, unsweet. I drink water more than tea but I make it at home to have with our meals.  I remember how my husband's family always had sweet and they made me a small amount of unsweet when I was there.  I have grown to like sweet too now.  My husband gets half/half lately when we eat out. 

3. When were you last nervous? Looking back, was the 'event' actually nerve-worthy?  On Monday evening Caleb accidentally cut his finger.  He said Mom I'm bleeding (he can't stand the sight of blood), and I went to him and got his finger over the sink and in the water.  I couldn't tell how deep it was, but it seemed to be dripping blood.  It seemed to go on forever but then it stopped.  Caleb asked if we were going to have to take him to the hospital.  I told him I wasn't sure.  He said just take me so they can give me new blood.  Later he told me it must have taken some nerves to see all that blood and he imagined I could be a surgeon.  He said but if you do become a surgeon don't bring home any gross things! 

4. The bristle toothbrush was invented in China on June 26, 1498...not sure how that date was pinned down so precisely but, on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being sick to your stomach and 1 being not at all, how nervous do you feel when you're headed to the dentist? Do you see your dentist twice a year?  Thankfully, I've never been fearful of dentists so I'd say a 1 (probably a 3 or 4 if I have some work done depending what it is).  I believe this is due to the fact that as a child I had a wonderful dentist.  My Mom drove me to another town for my dental work with a wonderful pediatric dentist.  She had bad experiences as a child and did not want me to feel that way.  I had to get silver crowns as a child and guess I had a very positive experience because I've never been afraid.  I have pretty much always gone two times a year, there was a time in college and early years of marriage that we did not.  I was actually supposed to go this week, but we are changing dentists due to issues the office with them not processing our insurance correctly.

5. What's making news in your town this week?  There is an upcoming 4th of July celebration they have every year at the lake.  It's not on the 4th but around that weekend and they have vendors and fireworks (if there isn't a burn ban).

6. Curtains, drapes, blinds...your window treatment of choice? Are there any bare windows in your house? Is that by choice or because you haven't gotten around to covering them? We have blinds on our windows.  Caleb's windows have curtains to block out some light.  The rest don't have any curtains.  The house came with the blinds, and we've just never added anything to them. 

7. Summertime is officially here (in the Northern hemisphere anyway)...what one song is a must-have on your summer playlist?  I have no idea!

8. Insert your own random thought here.  Last week we were on a family vacation to the coast (Rockport and Corpus Christi).  I'll have to do a post with pictures about our trip.  We had a nice time and enjoyed being away.

Have a day of blessings!

5 comments:

Nani said...

“If you become a surgeon don’t bring home any gross things.” Precious!

We have similar issues with our dentist. That and they think everyone has money to burn on cosmetic dentistry; I do hate the sales pitch every time.

Joyce said...

I'm hoping there are fireworks where we are this year too. Last year we had great fireworks, but the year before were in Texas and there was a burn ban.

Heather said...

Neat post,Bethany! I am so afraid of the Dentist. I had to go last year though and have 2 teeth cut out. It wasn't as bad as I thought.

They have fireworks on the bay down here,but my husband always works. The boys and I stay at home and relax.

Your blog is too cute!

Linda H. said...

I love the answer to number three. Caleb is precious.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Hope his finger is doing okay. Glad you got to have a family vacation. Looking forward to the photos.