Monday, May 21, 2012

If I Could Keep You Little...

This morning I dropped my boy off for his last Monday of 2nd grade.  As we come to the end of another school year, I can't help but think of all the "lasts" this week will mean for us as 3rd grade will bring us to a new campus. 

As we come to seasons of change, it is easy for me to want to just stop time and stay in this age or grade or stage for a little bit longer...to soak it up and keep things as they are...to keep him little....to not venture into the unknown.  As I think back to various stages of life, there were things I didn't want to ever change.  I remember thinking how would it ever be normal for him to be at school and not be with me at home.  I look back and miss those days... The days before he was a school boy.  Or the days that he needed my help getting dressed or tying shoes.   Or the days we would sit and I would read to him book after book.  Those days are gone, and they have been replaced by a new relationship with my boy as he has learned new things and continues to develop his independence.

When I was at the school recently, one of the books in the display sale was called If I Could Keep You Little by Marianne Richmond. I read it because I like sweet books like that. I don't normally buy them but knew this was one one I wanted to have for my own because it describes so perfectly how I feel about my boy as he has grown.     

I look at my 2nd grade boy (who tells me he is practically a 3rd grader), and I am reminded that when he was born we knew he would grow up.  We prayed for him to be healthy and grow as he should.  I am thankful for that answer to prayer.  Thankful for our happy, healthy boy who continues to grow and be a blessing as our son.  Thankful that I have gotten to enjoy him for almost 8 years here on earth and trusting and knowing God has a plan for his life.  Thankful for our relationship and all he means to me and the blessing of being his Mom. 

If I could keep him little, there are so many things I would miss.  The book reminded me of that...of all the stages we've experienced together and all the stages still out there for us to enjoy.    

Have a day of blessings!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just made his Gramma cry! I so much remember going through those feelings as I watched you grow and remember reminding myself often - it's our prayer and God's plan for you to become independent!
I am so proud of the woman you've become and the amazing son that you're raising! God sees & honors!

heididh33 said...

Tear!