Wednesday, October 1, 2014
2. When did you last shake like a leaf? We were at a football game a few weeks ago and it was very chilly! It surprised us how cold we got on a September evening! I was so cold shivering and went to the car.
3. After 20 seasons with the NY Yankees, Derek Jeter played his last official game Sunday afternoon. Jeter has been described even by opponents as a 'class act', both on and off the field. The NFL is back in action this month too, with several players in that sport also making headlines. What are your thoughts on athletes as role models? Should a professional athlete be expected to act as role model or is that going beyond their job description? What responsibility do the organizations these athletes work for have when it comes to dealing with off the field behavior? Discuss. I think it is great that there are many athletes who are positive role models and use their status for good. Being in the spotlight with every one watching, you'd think they'd want to make good choices but many do not seem to care about this.
4. What season of the year is toughest for you in terms of your health? Why? None in particular stand out for myself. My husband and son both have allergies. Several years in a row my son was sick at Thanksgiving until we figured out his medicine to help him, and he always breaks out in a rash on his arms in spring.
5. The top six healthy food trends of 2014 according to Eating Well are-
clean eating (more veg, less meat, less sodium, limit alcohol and processed foods)
trash fish (you know those fish that get caught in fishermen nets and are thrown back? It seems chefs are finding creative ways to make them more appetizing)
cauliflower (this year's IT vegetable)
kaniwa (essentially baby quinoa, so like quinoa only smaller)
fermentation (think pickling except with twists on flavor we're not accustomed to) community supported food (farms operating with community support/membership).
Okay-so how many of the hot healthy food trends for 2014 have you experienced, encountered, enjoyed? Any you've tried and said ewwww? Any on the list you'd like to try before year's end? I haven't heard of these trends. It makes me gag to see recipes on Pinterest with quinoa. I'll eat cauliflower but don't very often. I like the idea of less processed foods.
6. In seven words or less, bid September adieu. You went by so quickly!
7. What's something on your October calendar that makes you happy just thinking about it? We have our next doctor's appointment on October 13. Caleb is out of school so he gets to go with us (why the appointment was scheduled for that day). I don't know if we will have another sonogram or just hear the heartbeat. We are looking forward to it.
8. Insert your own random thought here. I was excited to find some good bargains last night at a consignment sale. I found some things for Caleb, a couple maternity items for myself, and a couple gender neutral items for baby.
Have a day of blessings!