Friday, January 14, 2011

Flashback Friday: School Discipline


This week's flashback is about discipline at school.

My flashback:
I never got in "big trouble" at school. In kindergarten our name was written on the board for misbehavior. I remember how devastated I was when I got my name on the board. I don't remember what I did but remember being devastated by it! I don't remember what we had in 1st grade, but in 2nd grade we had an apple tree. Every child had their name on a red paper apple on the tree. For misbehavior the "worm" would take a bite out of your apple (worm = a hole punch).

In the cafeteria they tried many different methods to try to maintain order. One I remember was "being taped." If you were talking too loudly, the lunchroom monitors would come put a piece of masking tape on your shoulder or back of the shirt. This makes me laugh now. I think they switched to something else when some kids started taking their tape off before they got to the classroom. We also had yellow and red cups. Yellow meant we could talk quietly, red meant no talking.

I remember when the teacher would take a student out into the hall and another teacher would come out to witness while spats were given. This is much different than what is allowed in schools today!

Have a day of blessings!

6 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

The worm and apple thing is pretty creative! I forgot all about "taking names" - especially when the teacher was out of the room!

Kathy said...

I love the "worm taking a bite of your apple" concept! I haven't heard of that one.

I enjoyed reading your memories. Have a great weekend.

Nel said...

Enjoyed your answers. I forgot about the "taking names" probably because I was usually one of the ones taking the names. I like the worm concept, I bet that would work.
until next time... nel

Anonymous said...

Love the worm/apple idea!

riTa Koch said...

Very creative methods.
Thanks!

bekahcubed said...

I too enjoy the apple/worm idea.

It seems as though most punishments were intended to embarrass kids into submission. I wonder how that would work for those of us who are unembarrassable...