Friday, April 23, 2010

Flashback Friday


Today for Flashback Friday we are reflecting on how we experienced grief in our early years.
My flashback:
The first death I remember was when my great grandfather died. I believe I was in kindergarten. I do not remember the service. I attended funerals for people from church as well through the years, but nothing about any of them really stands out to me.
I remember being extremely sad and crying as a young girl at the death of my favorite dog. She was bit by a rattlesnake. We were not home at the time it happened, but our neighbors took her to the vet for us. The next morning we found out she did not make it. I was never attached to another dog like I was to her.
At funerals now I always think about what will be said at my funeral. My cousin died in 2002 and The Dash was read at her funeral. It is a great way to look at how you live your life, and I encourage you to watch the linked movie if you've never seen it.
With our son, he has been to a few funerals in his life. One was for one of his sweet Sunday School teachers. He didn't understand and I don't think he remembers now. More recently he went to Mammaw's funeral last year. I remember while we were in the hospital during her last days on earth, we talked to him that Mammaw was sick and might be going to heaven soon. We talked about how she would have a new body and wouldn't be sick anymore. Recently he randomly told us something along the lines that dying was good because you got to be in heaven with God. He said some girls at school were talking about that one day.

Thanks for visiting today. I have two book reviews I need to share of two books I really enjoyed. Also, if you haven't checked out the music download, it was in Wednesday's post below.

Have a day of blessings!

6 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

Thanks for sharing your memories. I have always liked The Dash.

Barbara H. said...

I like The Dash -- a very poignant reminder.

Denise said...

You are so very precious, love you.

Robin Lambright said...

Yesterday was so busy for me that I had to wait until this morning to get around to all the FF participants.

I have so enjoyed reading all the different remembrances!

Thanks for sharing!

Blessings
R

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I never knew what I felt was grief...I was a kid...lost my mother...then my grandmother who looked out for me...grief hurts like nothing else...I tried to numb out that pain with drugs, an eating disorder and hurting myself. It was finally the touch of His gentle power that healed the hurt....great post.

riTa Koch said...

We can learn so much from little children.