Saturday, November 21, 2009

2009 Book #43: Chrisitianish by Mark Steele

I've finished another book. This is one I've been working on for a while. At times it was harder for me to read through. I guess I just had to be in the right mood to read this book for it to hold my interest.

The basic message of this book is that as Christians we aren't always truly following Christ. Saying we are Christians and actually following Christ are not the same. We may think we are following Him when in reality we are not. Often we just sort of go along and do all the things we think are "right" without following Christ. Too often we get caught up in programs or rituals instead of a relationship. This is not being a true example of Christ to the world. The author gave many examples and stories from his own life to make his points.

One quote from the book that I liked was this on page 44: "The world is looking for Jesus, but they don't know they are looking for Jesus because they believe they are looking for truth. You and I know that truth is Jesus. But them? They do not know that truth is Jesus because you and I are supposed to be Jesus--and you and I couldn't look less like truth."

This was a good book for the most part; I just had trouble focusing on it. It did not hold my attention too well. I thought the author has a good point though. Have a day of blessings!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I've been hearing about this book lately. I've found that sometimes the books I have a hard time getting into are the ones I return to over and over again. Thanks for the review and the quote. It certainly is sobering.

♥Mimi♥ said...

Just dropping by to say hello and to sit a spell. Your blog is always such a pleasure to poke around in and to read. Yes, your blog is a blessing to me☺