Monday, September 7, 2009

2009 Book #37: A Bride in the Bargain by Deeanne Gist

A Bride in the Bargain by Deeanne Gist is an enjoyable historical fiction novel. The setting is 1860s in Seattle.

Anna Ivey leaves her home and heads West, signing on to be a cook. Joe Denton has signed a contract with Asa Mercer for a bride. His land is at stake if he doesn't get a bride within the time frame set by the judge. Mercer delivers Anna who has only agreed to be a cook. One might think Anna will agree to be Joe's bride, but she will not budge on her position against marriage. Will Joe be able to find a bride before it’s too late and he loves his beloved land?

This is the first book I read by this author, and I enjoyed it. I found it interesting that actual events were used to create the story. I have read many Christian books and found some of the details in this one to be a bit much. There were no inappropriate scenes but a couple times I felt like too much was said regarding Joe’s thoughts towards Anna. The setting, characters, and story were all entertaining and it is well written in my opinion.

Have a day of blessings!

1 comment:

Mocha with Linda said...

I loved this book. And the idea that the basic situation really happened amazed me!