Monday, May 18, 2009

2009 Book #23: Catching Fireflies

We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining-- they just shine.

Dwight L. Moody

Catching Fireflies by Patsy Clairmont is an excellent book that I thoroughly enjoyed. I first heard of the book back in March when we attended the Women of Faith conference. It was a joy to hear Patsy speak, and I knew I'd enjoy her book if it was anything like the bright, spunky gal who shared at the conference.

This is one of those books that is so enjoyable to read that you want to keep reading to find out what stories and little flickers of encouragement the author will share next. Each chapter focuses on a different type of light source, such as lamplights, candlelights, flashlights, Christmas lights, starlight, lighthouses and of course fireflies to name a few. The chapters begin with a story of some sort about that particular type of light, has a few thought-provoking questions, and then concludes with "Bright Ideas" which relates that light to a Bible story.

I can say this book taught me a lot. First of all, it reminded me of all the references to light in the Bible. My theme verse for my life is Matthew 5:16. This book showed me that everyone can be a light. Even a simple act done for another can offer a flicker of hope to keep someone from giving up. Some people in our lives are strong towering lighthouses while others just consistently give us rays of sunshine amidst the regularity of daily life. Both types of people are necessary. The important thing is to SHINE.

Thank you to Patsy Clairmont for this excellent book and enjoyable read. As Patsy says, "Shine, girlfriend, shine!"
~~~~~
"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16

(I have another book review today also, see below!)

2 comments:

Denise said...

Sounds like an awesome book.

Runnergirl Creations said...

This sounds like a great book! Thanks for sharing your insight from it! :)