Friday, October 3, 2008

Friday Favorites: Casting Crowns #1

For October I'll be picking some of my favorite songs from the group Casting Crowns. We saw them in concert last October and this is one I've been wanting to have for a theme so I'll do it this month. I hope I can pick five songs because all their songs really have such powerful messages.

One song that really stood out to me at the concert was "Voice of Truth." Last night my husband was talking to me about hearing this song again and how the lyrics touched him in a new way and what he shared brought these ideas to mind.

We are surrounded by voices calling out to us. What voices do you listen to? What voices do you believe? Hollywood tells us we're not good enough if we don't wear these clothes, have this car, or fit in a certain clothing size to be accepted. If we listen to these voices long enough, they will consume us. They will seem to be truth even though they aren't. There are other voices that we may be listening to without even realizing it...voices from our childhood, past relationships, coworkers, employers, even family members. I thought of an example of this in my own life. I remember in my teenage or college years saying about something "I'm just a failure." I didn't really think I was a failure, I'd said it as a joke in that I couldn't do whatever task it was so it made me a failure. I can't even remember the task now. I even started saying this frequently when I didn't do something I was supposed to do or didn't complete some task. I remember my Mom and husband telling me "You're not a failure." I realized that this could easily become a voice I believe. If I am filling my mind with those words "I'm a failure" I will believe that. I usually catch myself now if I say that and think I won't even say those words in a joking matter because they aren't true. There are many other examples of things any of us tell ourselves... I'm not good enough. I'm not smart enough. I'm not talented. No one cares. I'm alone. I can't.... These statements can hinder us in our growth and in our relationship with God.

Talking with my husband and thinking about this song reminded me of one of the chapter's in Stormie O'Martian's book Power of a Praying Parent. It is called "speaking life." I remember she wrote about praying for our child to have positive messages in their lives, not negativity. (We don't need to sugar-coat things by any means. Wrong is still wrong and our kids need to know when they do wrong. But we do need to make sure we are encouraging and building our children up instead of tearing them down with our words....why did you do that? what were you thinking? why can't you ever do anything right?)

We have to be discerning to listen to the voice of Truth in all we do. When we start listening to any other voice, we are going to take our eyes off of Truth. Everything is okay when we focus on Truth. But as soon as we listen the other voice, the waves mount and seem to overtake us. The giants seem ready to attack.

What are the waves and giants in your life? Are you listening to them more than you are listening to Truth? God has given us his Truth in His Word. We can find there hope, peace, love, and comfort. When you find yourself beginning to doubt, ask yourself which voice you are hearing.

In this song I love the line "This is for my glory." God has a reason for the waves and giants we face. If we look at it with His help, knowing it is for his timing and glory, it will be easier to face.

I hope you will be blessed by this song today. I enjoyed watching this video. It has some encouraging verses of Truth throughout. Have a good weekend!




"Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. " Psalm 43:3

7 comments:

Debra Kaye said...

Oh Bethany,

Great great great post! The voice of truth is what we must choose to listen to! And oh what a different story it tells us than what the enemy tries to shout at us!

We have a Friday night game tonight. I woke up with a migraine again but the medicine is helping...praise the Lord. I'm a little shaky and weak but nothing is keeping me from my boys game!

Thank you for your prayers. I love ya! Happy Friday and blessings to you today!

Marcia said...

Great post. If we fill our heads with the voice of truth it will drown out other contenders. Bless you for this.

Anonymous said...

Important words for me to hear today!!!

Thank you!

God bless-
Amanda

Jenny said...

Hey there! :)

Got your message on our blog about raising awareness for childhood cancer. I don't know of any specific logos, but you could probably put things like the CureSearch logo or the CURE Childhood Cancer logo, etc. w/ a link to their sites... I'll keep my eyes open though and let you know if I see anything else!! :)

Hope you have a GREAT weekend!!

Melanie said...

This is such a great song! I've been thinking about it this week, too, as I've had to remember to listen to the voice of truth and NOT to all the other voices swirling around me.

Have a great weekend!

Runnergirl Creations said...

I really liked what you shared! I agree about watching what we speak. Thank you!

eph2810 said...

Casting Crowns has become one of my favorite Christian bands. Their words to their songs are unique and always point the One who is Truth.

Thank you so much for sharing your reflection on the song "Voice of Truth" - beautifully written..

Have a blessed weekend.