Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Book #29: Professionalizing Motherhood

I finished a book that I absolutely loved and needed to read. It is called Professionalizing Motherhood by Jill Savage. I found this book at the beginning of August during a trip to Mardel. It was on the sale rack actually, and I spotted it as we were leaving the store once I'd already paid. I recognized the author as well as the "Hearts at Home" label on the cover from hearing her previously on a Focus on the Family broadcast. It was discounted 75% so I paid $1.88 for it! I couldn't believe it was so inexpensive! I added it to my stack and now I've read it. It was such a blessing to me as a stay-at-home Mom. My heart was touched. I think you should read it as well.


I am thankful to be able to be a SAHM. It was my dream really that once we had children I would stop teaching school. I'm thankful to have not only my husband's total support in that but that with his job I'm able to stay home. I feel this book really validated my reasons for wanting to stay home. It was nice to know other people out there see the value in mothering and have the same feelings I do. I don't even know where to start on sharing some of the ideas in the book, it has so much valuable information.

As I started reading, the author really touched my heart. So often in today's society we're asked the question "what do you do for a living?" Some people don't respect or value the decision a woman makes to stay home with her children. You can get some odd looks and responses from some people. As Mom's we might begin to start questioning our decision to be at home. However, we don't need to feel like we should have to apologize for what we do. Look at what we ARE doing as mothers! We need to take pride in that fact!


There IS value in motherhood. The book tries to show Mom's how to make the most of this "season of life." She addresses some issues families sometimes face. One of these is "can we live on one income?" This is huge. Sometimes we have to learn about delayed gratification. Sometimes we need to realize that we don't have to "keep up with the Jones' " to really be happy. What really matters....people or things? A second issue is "aren't you wasting you're degree?" Well actually no I'm not! I loved how Savage says it's okay to have changes in career plans! People do it all the time outside of the home, and no one thinks anything of it. It is totally accepted actually. It's also okay to choose to change careers to being in the home with your children.


I cannot tell you the number of times I've been asked (especially recently) if I'll begin teaching again once Caleb starts school. It's a valid question. I could go back to teaching if I want, but at this time my heart is still looking at the things I need to do at home as Caleb continues to grow. She mentions in the book the "epidemic of empty houses after school" and how these are times when children especially need the hand of their mother there to help and encourage. As her children have grown, she has seen how her children continue to need her through all the different stages.


As Mom's we should be proud of our choice and realize mothering is our profession. Too often we say I'm "just" a SAHM. The Hearts at Home organization is meant to encourage mothers in their profession. Any other profession has conferences, workshops, trainings, books, magazines, etc. to encourage you in what you do. Mother's need this also! I totally agree with her on this.

The book includes chapters on some tools that every SAHM needs, which are fun, prayer, creativity, grace, humor, and organization. I was encouraged by all of these chapters and also gained some good ideas I plan to use. For example, she prays over the family member as she is folding his/her clothes. She shared some fun ideas that she uses to add fun to the home for special occasions like birthdays and other family traditions.


This book is a wonderful resource and there are others like it on the Hearts at Home website. They are also having a giveaway now through the end of the month on their blog.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. " Proverbs 31:27, 28

4 comments:

Debra Kaye said...

Bethany,

Thanks so much for sharing about this book. When I first came home from the work place, I did not want to. I am ashamed of that fact but the truth is the truth. I came home because my husband prayed me into it for 3 years. I had been brought up to believe it deameaned women and I had a great career and made a lot of $$.

Oh the blessings!! I am so grateful. I have been home now for 7 years. And the fruit of it is amazing! And I have never been busier or more fulfilled. I have never once felt the need to say I am a Domestic Engineer! tee hee

And I love to do laundry and pray over my family. I love Linen Day and pray over my family. I love to organize and present my home as a beautiful loving environment that screams I LOVE YOU to my hubby when he walks in the door! I light candles for him...I just love it.

I am so glad you were blessed by this book and I am so blessed by what you shared with us. May you be JOYOUS in the Lord today, sweet one!

Anonymous said...

Great insights! I am thinking I might have to check out this book. I love being a SAHM mom and feel so blessed as well that I am able too!! (Well. maybe not today when I am sorta being a ninny. But almost every other day!!)

Thanks for sharing this review!

Have you ever considered home schooling? Especially with a teaching degree...wow...the things you could do!

Many blessings-
Amanda

Kathy said...

I applaud you and commend you for being a stay at home mom. It was always my desire, too. There is no higher calling.

sister sheri said...

Great Book! I treasure being able to be a SAHM. Yes, some don't understand... and sometimes I miss the hustle and bustle of having a job... but I love being able to spend time with my son and husband... My focus right now is to make sure all my volunteering doesn't interfere with my SAHM responsibilities.