Friday, May 15, 2015

Story behind his name....

When we found out we were having another baby, we already had a girl name that we'd had for many years.  In the beginning I didn't fell a lot of urgency though to pick a boy name. I thought we had plenty of time to figure it out.  We talked about it some saying names we liked as well as those that were on the definite "no" list. (Certain names get on that list when you are a teacher!)

I wanted the first name to be Matthew. My husband's name is John Matthew. We used John for Caleb's first name so I thought it'd be nice to use Matthew for the first name for this baby and call him by his middle name as we do Caleb. There was one name throughout the pregnancy that we thought we would use for the middle name. I didn't feel settled on how to spell it though. We were trying to use names of family members, but the spelling felt too girly and didn't seem right. A second option was always Matthew Titus, almost since the beginning of the pregnancy I think.

One night we were doing a family devotion. (I tried to find the date in my journal, but I couldn't find when it was.)  Caleb had been saying funny names we could use, like Alfredo Potato, since we told him we were having a baby. But that night we were reading in II Corinthians 7, and he said "Titus, that would be a good name for the baby." In the following days I went back and reread the verse. I was thinking how this baby is a joy and comfort to our family after our miscarriage in 2013 and also about all the prayers and comfort we received during this pregnancy.  The verse seemed to fit how I felt about this baby.  We liked the name Titus, and Caleb continued to say he thought it would be a good name throughout the pregnancy.

When April 12 came we were still considering both middle names, but after he was born Titus just felt right!

We have both boys' footprints in the Bible that was given to us as a wedding gift and used in our wedding ceremony.  Each is on the page with the special verse that has their name.

Caleb's footprint on Numbers 14:24  "But because my servant Caleb has a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly, I will bring him into the land he went to, and his descendants will inherit it."



Titus's footprint on 2 Corinthians 7:6,7--"But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him. He told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever."


Have a day of blessings!
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the wedding bible baby foot print idea!!! What wonderful names and a beautiful story behind it :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love that you have their footprints in your bible. That is so special. I love his name. Not that it is a tradition yet but my husband has his father's name as his middle name and we used my husbands name for our sons middle name. Praying our son does the same thing someday.